Columbia House, BMG, etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_O, May 15, 2002.

1. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are Columbia House, BMG and the like's CD's of the same quality as those bought at full price? The same question for their DVD's. I guess I am just wondering how they can sell them so cheaply. Is it by their own manufacturing or do they buy them in bulk from record companies?

2. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

What I mean by quality is sound and video quality being the same as the store-bought ones.

3. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the audio Cd's sold by Columbia and BMG are made by their own pressing plants. So technically there is a difference between these discs and those purchased through the standard channels. I do know that the artwork for the CDs is different sometimes. I have an old Jane's Addiction CD that has the Columbia artwork and not the original. I have heard that there is often a sonic difference in the two versions. I don't know if the DVDs also fall into this category. I would be surprised if they make their own DVDs as there are not as many DVD pressing plants as there are CD plants.

Dave

4. Michael St. Clair

They absolutely do not make their own DVDs.

They make most of their own CDs, but not all of them. Personally, I doubt there is a sonic difference.

5. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

They sound the same to me.

6. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator