Columbia House/BMG, et. al.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Sanderson, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson Auditioning

Hey all,

Got a quick question... my wife and I were thinking about joining one of those DVD clubs for a quick way of getting a few cheap movies for Christmas, etc etc We've always bought all our movies at retail outlets, but I was just wondering if the movies through these "old-school" CD clubs are of the same quality as those in the retail outlets?

I seem to remember back in the day, that my CDs from BMG would actually be printed FOR BMG... there was actually a little white box printed over the normal rear cover art saying "MFG for BMG Inc. etc etc" Now, I know these CDs were manufactured especially for BMG, and I know they were usually of slightly less quality thatn store-bought straight from the distributor... are the DVDs the same way, or are they not manufactred for BMG/CH directly?

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate some info... thanks!

2. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

The DVDs from Columbia House are the same ones you get in the store. They are not made specially for CH. Check out the Clubs forum at DvdTalk.com for the FAQ on how to get the most for your money from CH. There are much better deals available than the usual mailings you get or online ads you see. There is also info there about the Disney Movie club and some codes you can use there to make it a pretty good deal. Good luck and enjoy!

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Jim's exactly right! The DVD's you get from CH are the same ones you get from Best Buy etc.

CH can be a great way to start a DVD collection relatively cheaply. You can get DVD's for an average of less than $10.00 a disc after fulfilling your membership agreement.

4. Binh Vu

Binh Vu Stunt Coordinator

I started my DVD collection from CH[​IMG]

5. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

Note-

While the DVD's seem to be from the same press run as the retail disc's from Wal-Mart and Best Buy.. the packaging may be different (such as the 'green' case for 'Grinch') and you _may_ not get retial coupons for future discounts packaged with the DVD. (such as buy two get one free coupons).

Some times these coupons can make the purchase of a DVD over all 'FREE' when purchased from a retial outlet.

But if you do choose to go with Columbia House then make sure that you order 'Older Releases' and/or 'High Retail Priced' DVD's for your first shipment, to get your dollars worth.

--David

6. Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson Auditioning

Thanks everybody!

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

9. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

10. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

11. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I've been thinking about joining CH, but I did a couple searches on their site, and it doesn't look like they carry Anchor Bay, Criterion, or Image. Can anyone provide a list of the studios they do/don't carry?

12. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

13. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Thanks, Mike. I'll be considering it...

14. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

I got all my Hitchcock DVDs through Columbia House. Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window & Vertigo. The Hitchcock Universal titles are $35+CDN so it's a terrific deal.