What's new

Columbia has done it again (Jackie Chan related) (1 Viewer)

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
I just went and bought Spiritual Kung Fu and Shaolin Wooden Men and they are both messed up. Coulumbia has decided to bring us Shaolin Wooden Men in 1.78:1 when the movie was really shot in scope and Spiritual Kung Fu is full screen when the movie was shot in scope. I thought that Columbia was going to bring us the Jackie Chan movies in their OAR and original language. All of the other Jackie Chan movies that they have released (Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, etc.) are OAR and original language. This is not right.

Duncan Reno

Agent
Thanks for the heads up on these titles. For every step forward Columbia tries to take when it come to foreign films. They ultimately end up taking two steps back.

It's really interesting seeing the DGA going after Cleanflicks for editing the content of their films when Hollywood has absolutely no quarrels when it comes to editing the content of films from other countries.

"It is wrong to cut scenes from a film -- just as it is to rip pages from a book -- simply because we don't like the way something was portrayed or said, then resell it with the original title and creator's name still on it," Directors Guild President Martha Coolidge said in a statement.

"It is wrong to circumvent the studios, who are the copyright holders, and the director, who is the film's creator -- all in the name of turning a profit," Coolidge added. "

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
BooneG -
Are these on Columbia's Destination label or is just Columbia Tristar? If it is Destination, it's even worse because this was the label they were supposed to give the original presentations with. These may have been titles they aquired before they figured out that people wanted the original movies. It still doesn't make it right.

Thanks,
Matt

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
It's not under the Destination label, but neither were New Fists of Fury, Dragon Fist, To Kill With Intrigue, Fearless Hyena 1 & 2, and many others. In fact all of Jackie Chan's older movies (pre-Young Master) were all handled very well. Now comes this load of BS. I have been waiting for a long time to see Spiritual Kung Fu in it's proper 2:35:1 now it looks like I will just have to wait longer.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Columbia really dropped the ball with this one. They think people are just going to buy movies based on the fact that Jackie Chan is in it regardless of the presentation. I really liked SPIRITUAL KUNG FU. I have the old Simitar version which is crap but there was no other version on DVD.

Matt

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
I was expecially confused about Spiritual Kung Fu... and was going to pick it up until I checked the package. On the back, it has the "Presented in Full-Frame" wording.

However... and this is the weird part... Columbia placed round "Includes new digitally-remastered letterbox" stickers on the front shrinkwrap. This was on every single copy I saw at my local Fry's (and no, this wasn't something Fry's put on the package — I've seen this on previous releases from the studio, and it's something that was included by the studio during the packaging stage).

Obviously these stickers are way wrong, and basically false advertising. I feel so sorry for all the fans who that tag and purchase the disc thinking its widescreen, only to get a P&S shock! But what the hell is up with Columbia TriStar anyway... they were doing such a good job with the Chan releases, and now this. *Sigh* Well, guess it's time to cross our fingers and hope a proper release comes out of the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks