What's new

Columbia extended cuts and deluxe editions announced for 4/25 (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Casualties of War: Extended Cut 4/25
The Patriot: Extended Cut 4/25 (Mel Gibson version)
The Replacement Killers: Extended Cut 4/25
A Midnight Clear: Deluxe Edition 4/25

EDIT: correction... Moonstruck: Deluxe Edition 4/18 and distributed by MGM, not Columbia. $19.94

All street the same day at the same price - $19.94.

This is starting to get ridiculous...

Source: official pre-order info from Columbia via VPD Inc., a home video distributor.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
And Moonstruck in widescreen!!!

Dear God! Sony put out Annie and other gems in pan 'n' scan (with a DTS track!!), so don't be too sure of anything!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I got the korean "A Midnight Clear" in anamorphic WS last year and am very happy. Region Free is the only way to go, baby!

Moonstruck.... cool, and WAY overdue!

How about a 2 disc Bram Stoker's Dracula with all of the laser supplements?

:) d

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
And still no Starman Special Edition, despite the fact that one is already done and just needs to be released in this country.

Oh well, thankfully my multi-region player works great.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Brian De Palma is actually involved with the extended cut of Casualties Of War or if they just took some deleted scenes and dumped them back into the movie so they can sell it again.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
If the running times of the already announced R2 is anything to go by, The Patriot will most likely have the deleted scenes from the previous edition cut back into the movie. Just as they did with their previous "extended editions" (e.g. A Knight's Tale). Same goes for Casualties of War, incidentally.

I gotta tell you, I've had it up to here with Sony's extended cut crap. These scenes were usually taken out for a reason, so stop messing up finished movies just to squeeze a few more bucks out of it, for God's sake.

How about finally releasing the SEs of the remaining Leone films instead?

Chris

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Regarding CASUALTIES OF WAR, according to the excellent book THE DEVIL'S CANDY, DePalma considered it to be his best film, but was so dejected by a bad test screening that he recut the film extensively for theatrical release. As we all know, the film bombed at the box-office anyway, and according to the book, DePalma doubted that he did the right thing re: extensively reworking the film after that one bad test. Hopefully, this "extended cut" will be done with DePalma's involvment, and return the film to that test screening version that he was so fond of himself.

Vincent

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The existing disc has a commentary, but unfortunately it's pan & scan. I assume that the new edition will port over the same track.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That's not always the case. The director's extended cut of Tears of the Sun was definitely superior to the original release. (They did drop several of the extra features, though.)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Aaron,
that's the only one of Sony's extended cuts I bought so far.
Notice the difference in wording! It's called "Director's Extended Cut" as opposed to simply "Extended Cut" like the others.

Chris

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
The Patriot: Extended Cut 4/25 (Mel Gibson version)

.....Defenitely a curiosity..We shall see. I totally agree with Travis, Christian, and Aaron's viewpoint.

A Midnight Clear: Deluxe Edition 4/25

If OAR..SOLD!! I'm dying to own this overlooked gem.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

Me too, but unfortunately the English subtitles are badly screwed up on this release. Assuming the new R1 release is finally OAR, I'll double-dip to show my support for this film to Columbia/Sony.

I'm also interested in Casualties of War in spite of owning the current edition, hopefully De Palma will be involved in this.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I personally do not think Casualties of War is DePalm's finest film. (I reserve that honor for Blow Out.) However, I still do think it ranks among his greatest. I would be very interested in seeing a re-cut that falls more in line with his original vision. I hope that's what is being released!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

To say nothing of first-time-ever releases on DVD of THE GORGON, BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB, THE FULLER BRUSH MAN, HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL, GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM, and many others.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Patriot is long enough and the 2-disc Superbit Deluxe edition is an almost perfect release. I can't imagine what they could possibly add to help the movie in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks