What's new

Columbia DVD anomalies? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Can anyone tell me if this is a disc defect or a common anomaly with Columbia DVDs? I have noticed on some widescreen titles that a broken color line streaks across the bottom black bar, just a thin one next to the picture/bar border. It isn't on a "frame" but if I progress frame by frame, it flashes "between" frames and always at the same spots. Happens on a couple of their titles I have but no other brand that I've noticed.

Eric

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
That must be why they love pan&scan so much.
...Columbia IS an anomaly! ;- )

I have never seen that problem. On which titles have you noticed this?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
This could well be a complete red herring, but do you have an early Toshiba DVD player by any chance? I seem to recall that, in the early days of DVD, there was an apparent incompatibility between Columbia DVDs and Toshiba players with a symptom something like the one you describe. The solution eventually found was to press the Pause button then the Play button as soon as playback started. That cleared the problem.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Bruce... Yes, I do have a 2nd generation Toshiba from 1998! But pressing pause and play doesn't clear it up and the glitch pops up in the exact same place no matter if I hit stop, reverse, pause, or whatever.

The latest one I happened to notice this with is the WS Special Edition of "The Patriot".

I'll try it in another unit and see if it acts differently. Thanks.

Eric

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
COLUMBIA was notorious for seemingly puposefull horrible laserdisc pressings, especailly in LD's final days, before DVD came big
perhaps theyre playing that same trick again, now that HD is just around the corner-as an incentive in manipulating people into becoming early adoptera of HD.....
really, theyre that low..

:Laser Rot: was Columbias middle name

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks