What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection (hopefully Volume One) consists of six all-time favorite films from the studio’s catalog, now on 4K Blu-ray for the first time.

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.00:1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, English 1.0 DTS-HDMA (Mono), English 2.0 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, Other

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French, Other
Rating: Not Rated

Run Time: 15 Hr. 5 Min.
Package Includes: UHD, Blu-ray, Digital Copy, Other

Case Type: 6 UHD keepcases with slipcover housed in a large box

Disc Type: UHD
Region: All

Release Date: 06/16/2020
MSRP: $164.99

The Production: 4.5/5
This collectible set consists...

Continue reading...

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
It's a fantastic box set, so glad I picked it up. I would, however, like to understand why those who design these things cannot create a less destructive method of removing the films from their enclosures.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently, all six movies were supposed to redeem as part of the Sony Rewards Movie Buff Pass program. I was told by the supervisor I spoke with to spread the word to anyone who had this issue to give their customer support line a call at (888) 715-7669 and let them know which moves did not redeem in the rewards program from the Columbia Classics Collection and to have your codes available when you call in. The support center is open M-F 10am-10pm EST and Saturday 10am-8pm EST. If you get an agent who is firm on "that movie was not on the list of eligible movies," then ask for a supervisor.

It is definitely worth calling in, because with every five codes redeemed, you receive a free digital (up to UHD) movie from Sony on Movies Anywhere (and there are SIX codes in this set).

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Apparently, all six movies were supposed to redeem as part of the Sony Rewards Movie Buff Pass program. I was told by the supervisor I spoke with to spread the word to anyone who had this issue to give their customer support line a call at (888) 715-7669 and let them know which moves did not redeem in the rewards program from the Columbia Classics Collection and to have your codes available when you call in. The support center is open M-F 10am-10pm EST and Saturday 10am-8pm EST. If you get an agent who is firm on "that movie was not on the list of eligible movies," then ask for a supervisor.

It is definitely worth calling in, because with every five codes redeemed, you receive a free digital (up to UHD) movie from Sony on Movies Anywhere (and there are SIX codes in this set).

Except in Canada, where the set contains no digital codes whatsoever (still a sore point with me. )

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I see this set has won the Home Entertainment Media Player Awards. It appears to be now sold out on Amazon USA (it's been sold out on Amazon UK since about October 2020) so maybe we might get the single film releases soon ;) (or will they re-issue the whole box.....?:huh:)

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I still haven't gone 4K although I do have a 4K player. If Lawrence Of Arabia and Gandhi get a separate, individual release I'll buy them and a 4K projector as well. The other titles in this box-set don't interest me as 4K projects, and some not at all.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I see this set has won the Home Entertainment Media Player Awards. It appears to be now sold out on Amazon USA (it's been sold out on Amazon UK since about October 2020) so maybe we might get the single film releases soon ;) (or will they re-issue the whole box.....?)
German website Blu-ray-Disc.de is reporting that some of the single releases will be released in July. Below is the article translated into English and maybe they might get released in the states too?

"Sony Pictures Entertainment is now pushing the gas for 4K releases on Ultra HD Blu-ray. The 4K lineup in July 2021 has now been extended by three catalogue titles. In addition to Guy Ritchie's "Snatch - Pigs and Diamonds" (United Kingdom, USA 2000), which will be available for purchase from 08.07., will also be released on the same day Richard Attenborough's biopic drama "Gandhi" (Great Britain, India 1982), the love comedy "Jerry Maguire - Spiel des Lebens" (USA 1996), starring Tom Cruise and Renée Zellweger, and Frank Capra's drama "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" (USA 1939) on HD Ultra Blu-ray. Unlike "Snatch", which will celebrate its 4K premiere in July, the other three catalog titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray are only 4K re-releases individually in simple keep cases, because the three feature films were evaluated for the first time in August 2020 as part of the "Columbia Classics Collection - Volume 1" on Ultra HD Blu-ray. The releases also raise the hope that the remaining missing films from the set will soon be released individually in 4K."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
After somehow missing that Columbia was going to limit this set to 8000 copies, and so missing the chance to get it at a good price, I've now paid well over list to get one of the last of the new copies. As a fan of Julie Kirgo's essays, I knew I'd regret it if I didn't take my last chance to get this. I've also been very pleased with the volume 2 4K UHD set, which I got at a bargain price, and that sealed the deal. Anyway, volume 1 now in my library. I definitely won't delay if a volume 3 is created.

columbia vol 1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks