What's new

Columbia: about your TV series (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Please release your TV series to completion. I intend to buy complete runs of Larry Sanders, All in the Family, Sanford & Son, and The Jeffersons (a total of 36 seasons between them all!). I hate this feeling I get that one season is all we're going to get

I'd also like to see complete runs of:

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
Fernwood 2Night
Soap
The Facts of Life
Designing Women

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
After reading the post here about Columbia releasing Mad About You season 1 in October, I was just about to post a similar thread to this, but Matthew beat me to it.

Columbia, I bought season 1 of both Larry Sanders and All in the Family. I was considering picking up season 1 of both Jeffersons and Sanford and Son but decided last week I won't buy anymore season sets from your studio until you at least announce plans for season 2 of any of your already-released season 1 series. With the Mad About You news, that'll make 5 series of which you will have released season 1, with no announced plans to follow up with season 2 of any of those series. Until you do, no sale on Columbia season sets for me (otherwise, Jeffersons and Sanford would in all likelihood be in my collection today). I'll save my TV-on-DVD money for FOX's upcoming season 1 output like Mary Tyler Moore and Malcolm in the Middle because of FOX's track record of releasing more than 1 season of each of their series. And Disney's upcoming Sports Night set, which contains ALL 48(?) of the series' episodes in one 6-disc set.

Shows I WILL buy from your studio in season sets once they're released (assuming my concerns above are put to rest): the rest of LS, AitF, Jeffersons, S&S, Married with Children, NewsRadio, and the Critic (which could be released in a similar fashion as Sports Night, see above, because of its small number of episodes).

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I 100% agree with MatthewA. I am going to buy the first season of Mad About You when it comes out. Columbia, you need to release your shows in more than 1 season. Look at what Fox is doing with their TV shows (Fox releases every season of their shows). For example, I purchased the first season of the Simpsons on Saturday, the second season of the Simpsons came out several days ago. The X-files from Fox is being sold in season-by-season format (it's up to season 6 now)

Columbia,
releasing only 1 season of a show is not going to cut it. Fox is making a killing by releasing their shows in more than one season. Warner released the first season of Friends in April & the second season of Friends is coming out next month. Columbia hasn't even announced if they will be bringing out season 2 of the shows that were released. You need to release your shows such as Mad About You, Larry Sanders, All in the Family, Sanford & Son, and The Jeffersons in all of their seasons & not just season 1.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
I bought All in the Family, and I will buy Mad About You. However, those are the exceptions, and unfortunately they are going to sit on a shelf un-watched, until Columbia announces a season 2 of something.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I think what Columbia is doing is trying to put out as many series as they can which makes it apear as though they're only puting out 1 season I'm sure season 2 will come out soon I hope they're faster than Fox was between season 1 & 2 of The Simpsons

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Columbia has a cash cow awaiting them if they get off their collective behinds and get season sets out of Charlie's Angels.

They could test the waters by releasing the original pilot film to, at least for them, determine if there is interest. The fans know though that there is and we are willing to get them...all five seasons, even the horrid Shelly Hack period.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
One would think thye'd tie any season release of Charlie's Angels into the sequel that's shooting now

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck L,

They already "tested" the waters with a 1 disc release containing two Charlie's Angel episodes way back in 2000.

I own that disc but will probably get rid of it soon since I bought it only cause it was really cheap for me to get (due to the bargains at the time) and I was curious about the original show since CA 1 was coming out soon after.

Still not sure if I'd get the season box sets, I think I'd NetFlix a couple discs before buying since while I'd love to enjoy the older shows that have become pop culture icons, sometimes it drives me nuts the difference between the old and the new and I just can't adjust.

Am bugging NetFlix for the mary Tyler Moore show since I want to preview it first before buying it.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
If this info is true then that is probaly why we aren't heaing about the second season of AITF, Larry Sanders, etc. (Columbia is probaly making them right now but won't talk about it)
I was thinking the same thing about Larry Sanders Season 2, especially since according to TVShowsOnDVD.com Columbia is lowering the price of LS:S1 on October 22 to $39.95.

I think that with the recent Universal TV box set announcements, Columbia will have to release more seasons of existing shows to keep up with the competition.

On another note, I never watched Larry Sanders Show when it was on HBO. But, I saw a brand new copy still in the original shrink wrap at a local used cd store for only $26.99!!! I couldn't pass it up at that price and it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Well worth the money.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Not only that, but Larry Sanders Season One has nine less episodes that Mad About You Season One and is on one more disc. I appreciate that Columbia is starting to release more TV Shows on DVD but I hope this doesn't become a pattern for future releases.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
actually seems like the word is that DVD-18 replication facilities are not numerous but surely its not that much more to just spread out the episodes to a few more discs...

as much as it kills me to do it... I won't buy Mad About You til after someone verifies that the episodes did NOT suffer from being being shoehorned into 2 discs...

However, my optimitism regarding this is not very good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks