What's new

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - coming from Scream Factory Feb 27, 2018 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

More title reveals today. Up next is the 1970 sci-fi thriller COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT from 1970! First time on Blu-ray in the U.S. & Canada and stars Eric Braeden (The Young and the Restless) and Susan Clark (Porky’s).

The ultimate computer creates the ultimate terror in this chillingly real suspense tale. When electronics genius Charles Forbin creates a massive computer complex that is capable of independently regulating the national defense of the United States, it appears that no enemy will ever be able to penetrate its sovereign borders. But such a promising thought turns into a stunning nightmare when it's discovered the Russians have built an equally sophisticated computer and that these two "doomsday machines" have linked, sharing classified information and top secrets. Desperately, Forbin and his Soviet counterparts try to stop the all-knowing "monster" computers from seizing command of the world's nuclear missile stockpiles.

National street date is February 27th and extras are in progress. However, you can pre-order now directly through us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/colossus-the-forbin-project?product_id=6536 to have the item ship two weeks early!
FB_IMG_1509411380048.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've had three different (imported) Blu-rays of this and all have been lacking, I hope Shout!/Scream can get us a really nice transfer...and include the Joseph Sargent commentary that was included with one of those European discs.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I also have all the imports and still have the laserdisc too. The most recent release by Medium Rare was not that bad of a transfer and the best looking of all of them.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Amazon indicates a new interview with Eric Braedon and commentary by Jeff Bond, but no other bonus features such as pre-existing director commentary, advertising booklet or trailer.
Yep, Shout has updated their page as well:

Bonus Features
  • NEW Interview With Actor Eric Braeden
  • NEW Audio Commentary By Author Jeff Bond
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Radio Spot

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Amazon indicates a new interview with Eric Braedon and commentary by Jeff Bond....

Yep, Shout has updated their page as well...

Thanks for the thread bump guys. Somehow I missed this announcement back in October. I never purchased the pan and scan dvd (it is pan and scan after all) so I've never owned it on disc, only......gulp......VHS! Looking forward to it!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched my region 2 last month. It was perfect, Glad I got my Sammy K8500 turned into a REGION FREE player at a cost of about $120 at 220 ELECTRONICS in the USA!!!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This movie had a big impact on me when I saw it on TV, when I was about 10 years old, which would be about the year 1975. I've had a feeling for years that Elon Musk watched this movie about the dangers of artificial intelligence when he was a kid too—and it's still freaking him out today!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OMG, I think that is one of the worst movie posters I've ever seen. :laugh:

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
With sympathy to the folks who had to design the advertising campaign, this would be a tough movie to convey the themes in a one sheet poster in 1970. Trying to get the general public interested in this film would be a hard sell. Had to play up the elements that seemed conventional at the time. You know, sex, violence...

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There's no justifying it IMO. Sure, it might have been difficult to convey a sense of the film in a way that was relevant to the time period, but that's just WTF? crappy work.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know we're not supposed to support the alteration of movies, but I've got one change I would support: lowering the extremely irritating teletype sound the occurs when Colossus communicates on a screen. Yuchh!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Received my copy Friday as part of Shout's 2-week early delivery for pre-orders, watched it yesterday.

Very nice transfer. I hadn't seen this in about 10 years, it's a really good film and I love how it doesn't compromise or provide an easy resolution. Of course the tech is now dated, but with the internet, social media, bots, etc, it's still a chilling movie from today's perspective.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm guessing this is the same transfer as the UK disc? It looked okay, but was clearly a little too processed with some DNR and sharpening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks