Colors not as bright when using component?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt_U, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

Well, after some trials and tribulations, and mainly reading the manual line by line, I corrected one of the problems I was having with my new Onkyo 755 setup. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=119914

And that problem was with the progressive scan splitting the screen into two warped half screens. I had the component video plugged into the wrong input (only AV4 on the Philips 34PW9847 handles 480p).

Problem now: The colors displayed through the component connection are not nearly as bright and vibrant as they are through the composite or S-video connections (if I switch between them).

This isn’t just a little noticeable, but very big differences. The component connections are much darker almost as if there was a thin black film covering the screen. The crispness is still there but not the color.

Has anybody else had this problem with a Philips TV or with another brand?

I tried playing with the contrast, brightness, and color settings on the composite connection but no luck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Kirk.

From your other post:

3. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

Bob,

Thanks for the quick response.

- DVD to TV with cable one: Problem Y/N
    - DVD to TV with cable two: Problem Y/N

I tried connecting the DVD player directly to the TV using both of the component cables I have (Monster). Same problem.

- XBox progressive to TV with XBox cable: Problem Y/N
    (or find another progressive DVD player)

The Xbox is not progressive, but will try to borrow another progressive DVD player from someone.

However, the same lack of color happens if I have the DVD player set to interlaced rather than progressive (there setting to switch).

- Macrovision
    That's kind of weird. Understandable, but weird, I will contact Onkyo about that one.

Note: In my previous thread, I had said that I had hooked everything up to AV4, but it was actually hooked up to AV3. That was the problem.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Though this may not be your whole problem, I figure it's worth mentioning. Many DVD players output 7.5 IRE as the lowest black level on S-video and composite feeds but 0 IRE as the lowest on component. This will make the picture seem darker, but shouldn't affect color.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I assume your s-video and component are using two different video settings on your display device. If so, you can calibrate both of them one at a time and it should yield the same results.

6. Troy_j

Troy_j Agent

Hmm, Calibrate each input? Sounds like good advice.

The way I see it is that: when a vid sig is combined there is some decoding (separation circuit) that can input it's own signature. same but to a lesser degree s-vid. Separate the RGB (red, blue and green) signal as in component and it's a " truer" signal, but you have to tweak it for your viewing pleasure. Have you run any calibration or even adjusted for viewing?

My .002

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Calibration is definitely the first thing I would check. I noticed a difference right away when switching from s-vid to component, verified by a recalibration which required changes to my settings.

8. Kurt_U

Kurt_U Agent

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. My internet connection has been messed up for the past several days or I would have replied sooner.

I started recalibrating the video settings on the AV4 input and it corrected the lack of color/black hue issues.

After reading through the manual that came with the TV a number of times, it doesn't mention any where that you can (or have to) adjust the settings for each AV input seperately. Without you guys suggesting it, I'm not sure I would have ever thought to try it.

I'm still having the Macrovision thing, but will call Onkyo shortly about it -- have to leave for a business trip on Tuesday for a week and a half. I sent them an email about it last week, but am not holding my breath for a reply.

Thanks again for the ideas. Now all I need is the Avia calibration kit, to really improve it.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

10. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Hey I have the same problem. I have a Sony DVD (not progressive) and a Panasonic 27 inch gaoo. The same thing happens when I hook up with component cables. When I calibrated with Avia with the color adjustment turned up all the way and looking through the blue filter it was not even on the scale. Using s-vid and calibrating it works fine. A little bit of red push but nothing I cant live with. I have tried a different dvd player with the same result. I have not had a chance to test the cables or the TV. I have also tried going into the service menu to see if I could adjust the component input separately from the others with no luck. I am hoping its the cables, because they are much cheaper to replace then the TV.