What's new

Color trends in equipment... (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, good one John.

I do like the green stuff that's out there now. NAD, Arcam. It's a nice trend in color, a bit of an alternative to the black and silver you see all the time.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd give somebody else's left nut for the next style to be CHROME. :D

Oh man, the factories that manufactured white cotton gloves would make millions.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of Piano Black. It's hard to keep dust/finger print free, it reflects ligh (not good for FP setups) and it shows wear worse than anything else. But it's still beautiful when it's clean and before the luster is gone. I also like the gold/champaign if done in a real metal face, but it also doesn't look very good mixed with other colors. Right now I have a Piano Black receiver, flat black DVD & PS2, and silver/gunmetal cable box, all on a Piano Black & silver stand. I wish the cable box was black, but it doesn't look horrible since the legs of the stand are silver. All Piano Black or all Gold/Champaigne is how I would go if I had a choice that was within my economic status AND gave me the performance I was looking for, but I don't think either are do-able right now.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That chrome idea may already have taken some sort of root in the A/V world. There's an RCA-branded, beer-budget DVD player with a chrome-like front panel. It has blue-tinted back-lighting for the function labels, I believe. It looks sexy. But, come five or six years from now, people would say, "It looks so 2003/2004."

For example, all the silver-spaceship Sony WEGAs we've been seeing since 1998 are going to age badly in terms of style.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Sony is tinting their cabinets BLUE it looks like! Their new WEGA's look to be a blue hue to me!

Oh god, a BLUE television!!!

I love black stuff - because I hate anything bright (I think I am probably a vampire ) - Kenneth

LOL couldn't have stated it better myself

Black is perfect :: Black is all you need :)

Greg Black

Second Unit
I hate silver products; they look cheap to me, and I don't like bright A/V equipment. I love black. *looks at his own name* :crazy:

I bought a JVC HDTV last year (silver/dark grey), and I couldn't stand the way it looked with the rest of my equipment. Over time, I've gotten used to it, but I really think that the trend will be going back to black pretty quickly, as people seem to be tired of silver already.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I thought you guys were immune to component aesthetics. Isn't that just a girly thing? ;)

I don't think there will ever be too much departure from the black/gray/silver scheme. Just goes back and forth according to the trend of the day. Personally I prefer silver, but my system is a mish mash of black, silver and gray. Doesn't bother me, because I chose my components for their performance over aesthetics.

Maybe we will see the return of wood! When I was just a kid, my dad had a Fischer receiver that was wood.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Marantz offered wood cabinets as accessories for the preamps and power amps and integrated amps -- and one for the Model 19 stereo receiver (which, like some previous Marantz units from the 1960s, sported an osciloscope for FM tuning; it was 1971, and this 50-watt-per-channel unit fetched $1,000 at dealers).

My first Kenwood receiver, the 1969 KR-77, was in a metal cabinet that was painted in a silly woodgrain pattern. It looked hokey even back then. But, with the lights turned off, the blue-lit tuning dial looked cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks