1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Color temperature

Discussion in 'Displays' started by cafink, Apr 7, 2004.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Though I've always been a big fan of movies and have had my DVD player since 1997, I've never been much for the hardware side of home theater.

I've been reading up a bit on televisions, monitors and other display devices, and I have a question about something from page 2 of this document.

It says:

My first question is this: My television has a color temperature setting, but the only available options are "cool," "medium," and "warm." Can anyone tell me what numbers these settings correspond to? I thought perhaps there might be some sort of standard. It's a Toshiba 36" television, if that helps, but I don't have the model number or the instruction manual handy.

Also, I'm curious to learn more about the color temperature setting. What exactly do the numbers "6500K" and "9300K" represent?

Thanks for your help.

Carl

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Can't help ya on your TV, I am woefully ignorant of most consumer TV setting terminology. I think "warm" probably corresponds to closest to D65, though it is something that would need to be calibrated with a colorimiter to get precise.

As for what color temperature means, and many other things, read on:

http://www.poynton.com/ColorFAQ.html

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Warm is supposed to be closest to D6500 ... although it rarely is.

Regards