Color Temp Settings on Tosh 65X80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hal M, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Hal M

Hal M Agent

When calibrating using Video Essentials, should I set my Color Temp at Cool, Medium or Warm? Recommendations? I prefer a filmlike image.
    Thanks

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I beleive you want to use the setting in which the grey scale looks the most nuetral. On my set warm looks to red and cool looks to blue. So I keep it at med.

3. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

Without true grey scale adjustment with a color analyzer, the general rule of thumb is to use the Warm setting. The Cool setting is much too blue on my 65H80. The Warm setting may take a little getting used to, but it really is closer to D6500K which is what will present films closest to what the film makers intended. To the untrained eye, Cool usually looks better. But give the Warm setting a try for a while and I think you'll be much happier (much more film-like). Remember, film is not as bright as you may think.
    -Brett
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD's

4. Hal M

Hal M Agent

Brett,
    Where does the Medium setting lie in regards to film-like picture quality? I know cool doesn't look right, but is warm too red?

5. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

Warm may be too red, depending on your set, but it is usually closer to D6500K than medium or cool. Like I said, greyscale is so hard to configure without an analyzer. That is why people get their sets ISF calibrated - the main thing ISFers do is calibrate the greyscale.
    In general, warm is the way to go. This rule is not without exception, but unless you specifically notice that the image is too red (when compared to a theatrical exhibition), I would stick with it. If I were you, I'd put it on warm and watch movies for a week or so. If you still feel the image is too red, then maybe switch to medium.
    The next time you go to a movie, pay close attention to how certain colors appear and how bright the image really is. Obviously this is inexact because film makers stylize images, but this is as close as you can get. Your goal is not to make your 65H80 look like a big direct view TV (which are usually too bright), it's to make it look like a film projection. The warm setting, at least on my 65H80, is closest to this. In a couple months my set will be ISF calibrated and I will know for sure, but for now this will have to do.
    Hopee this helps,
    Brett
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD's

6. Hal M

Hal M Agent

Brett, thanks. Very helpful, indeed. I will try the Warm setting.
    Hal