Color Temp and 540p or 1080i Questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaleI, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the Hitachi 57s500:

Do most of you use the "normal" or "warm" color temp setting for dvd viewing; I know it's a matter of taste, but just curious what you use on your RPTV.

When using progressive scan to watch a dvd (I use a Panny xp30 dvd player), do you toggle to 540p or 1080i on the TV? With my eyes, I can't see a difference between the two. Theoretically, which one ought to give the better picture?

Is there a still, test pattern on one of the calibration discs that you can suggest, so I can determine which setting is best? I sure can't see a difference with Moving images.

Oh, and what about basic 4x3 programming--like an old TV show; this Hitachi offers me 540p or 1080i for those signals too.

Thanks.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you can't see a difference, I suppose it doesn't matter.

The technical difference between 1080i and 540p is that, in 1080i alternating 540p frames which are the upconversion from NTSC broadcasts or the DVD player's 480i or 480p output are staggered slightly vertically, while for 540p the even and odd fields of 1080i HDTV are superimposed which loses resolution.

Your TV may do something different that is proprietary.

If you notice a slight flicker when viewing DVD's as 1080i, try 540p, while if you notice gaps between scan lines when viewing DVD's as 540p, try 1080i. Of these two choices use only 1080i for HDTV. Either of these effects may be less noticeable depending on the fatness of the scan lines, which may vary from one TV to another even of the same model, and is adjusted using the focus control in the rear or in a service menu.

Currently there are no easy to get HDTV test patterns that would reveal the difference between 1080i and 540p.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

I tried 480i-1080i, and it was the weakest of the other alternatives; interesting, since many posters here have had more success with that setting.

4. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

I tried 480i-1080i, and it was the weakest of the other alternatives; interesting, since many posters here have had more success with that setting.