What's new

Color shifts? (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ok, I noticed an interesting problem last night and I am wondering if anyone else has run into it. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean on my RCA player last night upconverted to 1080i when I noticed the color was shifting/cycling within scenes. It was slight and most noticeable on skin tones. I have not noticed this when watching HD discs or when I was testing the player's upconversion with The Fifth Element. I am using a HDMI to DVI cable connected to a Sony 40XBR800.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I have heard this, but when I used the ethernet jack to upgrade before I heard of the issue. However, I don't think it is the same issue. I have notice that the colors between my HDMI out and component out are different, but I can live with it for the moment. This problem is color shifting back and forth within a scene. It is subtle and I have not seen in on any HD material--just the upconversion.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I tried to find that problem on the HD-A1 with my SD copy of POTC. The picture looks incredible to me. I have not updated the firmware to 1.4 yet. Maybe I will hold off loading that firmware update.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

AaronSCH, would you be willing to do me a favor? Check the scene where Will Turner is presenting the sword to Elizabeth's father. Look at the closeup of Will's face after he gives him the sword. This is one of the shots where the shift was more noticible. Thanks.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So I have done a bit more research on my problem...

I only see the shift (and I don't think most people--but I am sure the percentage will be much higher here at the HTF--will be able to see it without being told about it) when watching SD discs upconverted to 1080i. The shift does not seem to occur when outputting 720p or 480p. Any thoughts?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I feel a bit like I am having a discussion with myself, but I think I found the root of the color shifts. The good news is that it has nothing (I think) to do with the RCA player. My Sony is from a batch of Sonys that scan issues with 1080i signals. Interestingly, my TV only had the problem if the signal was upconverted. I have fixed my problem using the Sony service menu. I know just have to tweak some other settings to get the PQ back to where I want it.

manuel_a

Auditioning
Real Name
Manuel Alvarez
Hi David:

I just got my Toshiba HD-A1 yesterday and I am noticing the same color shifts you are. Could you please tell me what to change in the service mode to fix this?

I am also seeing a vertical line moving left to right, it can only be seen when the screen is really dark, are you seeing this too? Any idea on how to fix this on?

Thanks,

Manuel.-

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

In my case the color shifts were caused by the line, but in scenes that are not dark you don't see the line very well you just see the color shifts.

I found the solution by searching over at AVS Forum. I sent you the links in response to your PM.

Be careful with the service menu it is possible to really mess things up (and if your set is under warranty it will most likely void it).

David

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Well, that is good to know. I don't know about everybody else, but HD DVD has reinvigorated my love of HT. I enjoy being on the bleeding edge and even the issues it sometimes creates.

manuel_a

Auditioning
Real Name
Manuel Alvarez
Thanks David! Changing the HDPT setting removed the vertical line and the color shifts as well!

Cheers!

Manuel.-

Carl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running into similar problem on my DVI connection with firmware 1.4. How do you go about making the necessary adjustment via the service menu to correct the issue? Please PM me the direction if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks