Color Shift on Widescreen RPTVs- causes and solutions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Carra, May 11, 2001.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Hey everyone,
    How many people out there, notice the color shift, from red to blue, across their widescreen RPTV?? It is there on 4x3 sets as well, but it is far more apparent on widescreen set. This bothers me to no end. On my Toshiba widescreen, I was able to tame the effect by using the "lens striping" technique. By laying small strips of tape across key positions on the red and blue lens, the color shift is noticeably reduced. It is still there to some degree, though. For me this effect sticks out like a sore thumb. A string of white lettering from left to white, changes in color ever so slightly, but enough to annoy the heck out of me. So I found a little trick. Since the red and blue CRTs are aimed at the left and right , respectively, by adjusting the focus of each lens, you are able to change to greyscale just enough to count. The focus is still sharp enough to the eyes, but a slight change can make up for a side that is too blue or too red. I first noticed this effect after I and done my mechanical and electrical focusing. Once I completed the focussing, everything was razor sharp in the center, but the color shift had become more noticeable to my eyes. When focusing, I saw that the red and blue focus could be focused more on one side and less on the other. By focusing each gun so that the focus was distrubuted evenly seemed to throw off the greyscale. Setting things back to an ever so slight misfocus on each side remedied the situation. Does this make any sense???
    Marc.

2. Jon SC

Jon SC Auditioning

I have a Pioneer widescreen and I do get a magenta tinge down the left edge of the screen, the only solution is to go front projection, just tell the family all holidays are off for the next four years [​IMG]
    Jon