color settings

wags

Auditioning
Real Name
shawn
Please help me, I purchased a Sony Bravia (KLV-40U100M) 40 inch LCD TV. After getting the TV I ran home and hooked it up to my basic cable with the simple red, white, and yellow RCA cables and was extremely disappointed with the picture. Then I went to the local bright house and upgraded to the HD box, This came with component cables that are Green, Blue, and red. These cables did give me a better picture but still not worth all the money I spent. So then it was recommended that I buy a HDMI cable so I did, again I think its a better picture but I do not think It is any better than the 34in TV that I had on basic cable. So I am hoping that some of my trouble is in the color settings or other settings. PS, the picture is drastically improved if the tv picture is not stretched to fit the screen. Even the HD channels are not as good as I think they could be. I also wonder if buying a TV with out a tuner in it is any part of the picture quality. Does any body have settings or ideas that they could recomend to me that may clear up my picture.

settings on my TV are:

Picture 0-100
Brightness 0-100
color 0-100
Hue R50-G50
color temp
sharpness 0-100
noise reduction on or off
CineMotion on or off

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes you need to calibrate.

Buy a calibration disc, follow the instructions.

Also, see the calibration forum at AVS for more.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You best bet would be to buy or borrow a calibration disk....Avia, Sound & Vision Tune UP or the THX optimizer on some DVD's. The settings that will give the best picture in someone elses surroundings may no be the best (or even any good) in your house. The disks will get you in the ballpark and then you can fine tune settings to your taste. Or......you can just fiddle with the settings to see what looks best....it won't hurt the display.....it'll just take some time. I would start with the "cinemotion and noise reduction" modes set to off, then adjust until things like flesh tones, grass, skies, etc started to look natural. With a little patience you can get pretty darn close.

Mort

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You will not be able to achieve accuracy this way unless you have a long experience having seen the same content on calibrated systems and you really know what you're doing. This is unlikely given the nature of the question. You need test patterns to achieve accuracy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike