What's new

Color Purple, Driving Miss Daisy 2-disc details (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Driving Miss Daisy gets a new special edition on February 4th. The set will feature a brand new anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1), English and French Dolby 2.0 Surround audio tracks, an audio commentary, documentaries, featurettes, a still gallery and trailers.
Also due on the 4th are single disc debuts of Mildred Pierce and A Patch of Blue. Mildred Pierce comes with a new fullscreen transfer and Dolby Digital Mono audio, while Patch of Blue has a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and DD mono track. Retail on the three is an incredibly low $19.98 each.
A fully remastered 2-disc edition of Spielberg's The Color Purple will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1) and DD 5.1 audio. Extras include the featurettes "Conversations with Ancestors: The Color Purple From Book to Screen," "A Collaboration of Spirits: Casting and Acting The Color Purple," "Cultivating a Classic: The Making of The Color Purple," and "The Color Purple: The Musical" (each featuring new interviews with the likes of Spielberg, Winfrey, Goldberg, Danny Glover, Quincy Jones, and author Alice Walker), behind-the-scenes and cast photo galleries, theatrical and teaser trailers. The Color Purple is due on February 18th with a retail of $27.98.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope the release information about "A Patch of Blue" is wrong because I believe that movie was filmed in a widescreen ratio.

Crawdaddy

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Cool news about Driving Miss Daisy, in particular. I've been holding off buying the Foolscreen version, and a 2-disc set with $19.99 SRP is sweet!

Thanks for the details, Patrick.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
finally i can put my region 4 "Driving Miss Daisy" DVD to rest with it's "what the hell just threw up on my screen" UGLY UGLY UGLY transfer. the same more a less goes for my warner "The Color Purple" flipper special.

how these two films remained with such poor presentations for so long is incomprehensible and not to mention frustrating as hell. but at least now, the healing can begin ...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A Patch of Blue was announced a while ago as having a new 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer. However, Mildred Pierce will be in the correct 1.33:1 ratio.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
"Cool news about Driving Miss Daisy, in particular. I've been holding off buying the Foolscreen version, and a 2-disc set with $19.99 SRP is sweet!"

DVDFile is saying that Driving Miss Daisy will be a one disc SE.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Extras include audio commentaries by Oprah Winfrey and Whoopi Goldberg,
Audio commentaries on a Spielberg film? I thought he was opposed to commentaries running during his films, regardless of whether or not he's the actual commentator. Well, I guess that's not the case, it must be a personal decision.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Coverart for The Color Purple is available here You know, I was trying to find the ruddy film on IMDB to get a list of cast, but I couldn't for the life of me find it....then I realised being a Brit that you'd gone and spelt 'Colour' wrong again ;)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Love the cover art on The Colour Pourple (:D )...
But cripes, did they have to stick a quote from, of all people, Gene Shalit on there????
Both Purple and Daisy are under-appreciated, my opinion.
Jon

Nigel W

Grip
Very good news for both movies - and I am particularly exited about The Color Purple. I haven't seen this movie since it was having its theatrical run.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Regarding The Color Purple
If I had gotten into DVD from the beginning I probably would have bought the first version, one of the small benefits on not being an early adopter. ;) Of course I haven't seen it quite a while. :frowning:
What's with the "musical", was this made into a musical on Bway?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks