Color problem on hdtv monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdLeflore, Aug 5, 2002.

1. EdLeflore

EdLeflore Auditioning

I have an RCA 52" HDTV Monitor, the picture is always really good but sometimes when playing a DVD I notice green patches when the scenes are dark or a black backround. I am using a toshiba sd-2109 dvd connect with component cables but want to upgrade to a progessive scan. Is the fact that the dvd is not progessive a problem?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I doubt that progressive scan will make a difference. It sounds more like your TV is in need of calibration -- either the do-it-yourself variety with a calibration disc (AVIA or Video Essentials), or possibly a professional adjustment by an ISF-certified technician.
    Now on the topic of forum etiquette:
    I've closed the two threads in which you reposted this message with the accusatory title, "I thought that you guys are supposed to know a thing or two about AV equipment". If the point of that title was to attract attention, you've succeeded but I don't think it's the kind of attention you want. Making allowances for the fact that you're new, I'll leave this thread open for follow-up questions (if any) and any additional advice that other users may wish to give. But my advice would be to try a friendlier tone in the future.
    We now return this thread to the original topic. Ed, if you have any questions about forum etiquette or want to discuss this further, please contact me by private email.
    M.

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

"I thought that you guys are supposed to know a thing or two about AV equipment"
    Alright that might not have been the best choice of words and double posting is a no-no. Those treads where closed as appropriate. Also the Display Devices forum would be better suited for this question. Could a mod move this thread?

Sorry to step on your toes there Mike. I guess great minds think alike. [​IMG]
    If I knew the answer Ed id tell you. But I don't know much about RPTV's [​IMG]. But come on guys we are the HTF, the #1 place to go to talk HT, lets help this guy out. [​IMG]

4. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

the only problem ive ever had with green patches,was when i had my mains to close to the tv,magnetic problem,then there were small green halos in both upper corners,just a thought if you have unshielded mains.

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

It could possibly be the cable. If your red cable is shot then it presents dark images with a greenish hue, but not really patches like you are describing. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If areas that should be blakc appear greenish, the green CRT and its circuits may not be dimming down to black at the same rate as the red and blue sections, this would need the help of a serviceman if you are not familiar with service menus. The aforementioned problem is sometimes referred to as gray scale color temperture shift. A related problem is inability to hold black level, which in this case is affecting the green section only. What should be black ends up as an unpredictable dark but non-black shade that can vary from left to right across what should be a solid black patch. Turning down the brightness control may hide this at the risk of losing some of the shadow detail.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm