1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Color Out of Space (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Message #21 of 48 Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Wikipedia lists Die Monster Die! (1965), The Curse (1987), Colour From The Dark (2008), Die Farbe (2010), Annihilation (2018), and Steven King's novel Tommyknockers. I'd add the segment he appeared in in Creepshow. I believe there is a 2014 Color Out of Space film and maybe one in 2016 too, and now Stanley's 2019 one.

I'm told that the ending of the new film is unlike anything ever seen before... wild, psychedelic and utterly crazy. Nic Cage's performance is said to be batshit insane. Reviews are all good for the film. I'm looking forward to it.

[​IMG]

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, RLJE has the distribution on this, they also handled the wonderful Mandy, but the issue was RLJE are small and the big theater chains would not take Mandy. So, my guess on distribution for this will be the same as Mandy unless some of the big theater chains take their heads out of their rear ends. Which means it may show in smaller theaters and go to streaming and pay per view at the same time.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Is there a preview for this yet?

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I would imagine they have one ready to go but I don't think they have put it out there yet.

5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I saw Die Farbe (2010) last week. This is the German version of The Color out of Space. A very interesting film told mostly from the point of view of an unreliable narrator. Shot in B&W with pink representing the Color out of space.
    The BD was limited to 1000 units and it's zone free. For the record, it's listed as The Color out of Space.

Reggie W likes this.
  6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I've not seen that version but I do recall there was a fairly recent film adaptation of this story that came out on blu-ray. I think it may have been put together on a small budget through some sort of Lovecraft society fan group.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    How about a trailer...

Adam Lenhardt and Sam Posten like this.
  8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, I think this gets a theatrical release in late January 2020 and then it comes out on Blu-ray February 25...that's pretty quick.

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I loved Madeline Arthur on "The Magicians", along with her appearances in "Legends of Tomorrow" and To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    My guess is this gets a release in a small amount of theaters for a short run with a simultaneous pay per view release as Mandy did and of course as already noted rapidly comes to Blu-ray. It's the multi-platform idea. I will try to see this in a theater if the opportunity is there.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Sam Posten likes this.
  12. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    So, not one person has seen it? I would rent it from RedBox today and watch it, but they only have it on DVD. I think this is a movie that DVD can't represent. I made the same mistake renting Mandy on DVD from NetFlix (the only format they had) and it was obvious that DVD simply wasn't up to the task. I eventually ordered the BR, but have been waiting for a month for it to come back into stock. Supposed to be in the next week.

13. Message #33 of 48 Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    JohnRice

John
    Oh well, I'm itching to watch this. The 4K Disc is on sale for $18, so I went ahead with that. Have to wait a little while for inventory.

Reggie W likes this.
  14. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I saw it and can recommend it if you are a fan of Cronenberg type body horror and John Carpenter...basically it feels, in a good way, like it could have been made in the 1980s. I don't want to discuss much about it until people have seen it. I assume that many have not and some probably ordered it as it is only $14.99, so an inexpensive blind buy. Obviously if you like Lovecraft at all you should see it as it is, as Lovecraft films go, a really good one.

And yes, it would be better served on blu or the 4K which I think is only going for $17.99.

15. JohnRice

John
    Between the choice of 4K stream for $15 and 4K Disc for $18, I'll opt for the disc. If the stream was $10, then maybe I'd go stream.

I'm a HUGE Cronenberg fan and definitely a Carpenter fan. Lovecraft is difficult to put on film, so that's probably more miss than hit. I also missed the boat on this whole Cage hate thing. The guy is who he is. He's actually been in several really inventive movies lately. Also, I really enjoyed Mandy, which I mention not because it also stars Cage, but because I suspect it's a similar movie in several ways.

BTW, what's the deal these days with saying "Oh, it's just "name superficially similar movie" again? Simply because it shares some visual or other surface similarity with another movie?

16. Message #36 of 48 Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    This likely means you will enjoy it.

I think creating visually what he writes about is difficult because Lovecraft was trying to write something his readers would have to imagine and thus create their own little nightmare. When it comes down to actually having to create that visual, well, then you've removed whatever the individual would have created in their own head that horrified them. My guess is that when we each read a Lovecraft tale we all have something slightly different emerging from the darkness. The good news here is Stanley has long loved H.P.'s work as his mother read him these stories when he was a boy, so he has a really good feel for how to do this. I think it is one of the best films based on his work due to this fact.

I recently watched The Dunwich Horror, the one from 1970 with Dean Stockwell, and while I get a kick out of the picture, they obviously did not really have a good idea nor the resources to do it. So, Color Out of Space will be fun for Lovecraft fans I think.

Yes, I think Cage is good when he has good material to work with and an interesting director. Sadly due to his financial issues he went down the road of just appearing in whatever is offered to him. Oddly he is going to be playing himself in a mockumentary about his life and career path which should be fairly bizarre. I also loved Mandy and I would say this film is similar in that he again gets some interesting material and a director that gets him and they just go for it 100%.

Well, it is sort of funny that a lot of movies, particularly the bigger budget ones, are really just the same film as one that came before. In the case of this film I think the thing was that the author of the novel Annihilation borrowed liberally from Lovecraft and now that we are actually back at the Lovecraft story but the film is coming after Annihilation, now people think that this film is borrowing from Annihilation...which it is not and Stanley is trying to make a good version of the Lovecraft tale not copy Garland's film. Yes, there is a visual effect that reminds people of Annihilation but Stanley has actually explained why he uses this effect.

17. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Since no digital copy is included I’ll wait for the 4K digital to drop to $9.99 or less. Shouldn’t be a long wait at all.

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    At the risk of coming across as a moron... why not just rent it? $5 for a 4K rental from iTunes.

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Because then if I like it l( as I think I will) and want to buy it, I’ll have spent $14.99!;)

Seriously tho I may do just that.

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    $5.99 actually.