What's new

Color Issues around objects on screen (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I am getting multi colored lines whenever there is a straight, think line of anything on screen. For example, a lampost would have this border line around it, with several dirrerent colors (magenta, yellow, etc)

What's wrong?

Bryan

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of display do you have. If it's a CRT projection type display it sounds like it needs convergence pretty bad.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's a direct-view, so it won't be a convergence issue in the projection CRT sense.

It could still be an electron gun convergence problem I suppose, but regardless, it does sound like a service issue that you should look into.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought one of these sets and I was not impressed. It has a really weird looks to it's display. Thats the only way I can describe it.

Well, I soon returned it and got the 20" Panasonic Tau model. It cost me an extra $50 but it was well worth it. The Panasonic is a very nice 20" tv.

Tiger

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Do you know if the Panasonic has any protection for the shadow mask? That's pretty much what prompted me to go with a Toshiba, because of that protection.

Bryan

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Bryan,

have you calibrated the set with a calibration disc such as Avia or DVE?

Do you get it on all video sources? e.g. dvd, vcr, cable feed?

It sounds to me like scan velocity modulation run amok.

Does this model have any settings such as 'Movie' mode that you could put it into and then calibrate from there?

I own the ancestor of this model - the 20AF41 - and haven't seen this type of problem on it although it does have some edge enhancement. But I have seen what you're describing on a friend's new 32 inch Sharp flat tube set.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I ran a calabration disc (DVE) and the color itself is fine, its just those streaks of color alon edges of objects. To test it, I turned the color setting down to zero, and while most of the picture is black and white, lets say a lampost has a line of color around it. I've only calibrated through my dvd player, as I don't know any other way. Is this just the tv? my DVD player? :frowning:

Bryan

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Bryan, check other sources (cable) to see if its just your dvd player or not. You may also want to try an Svideo connection if you're currently using the component inputs just to see if that makes any difference. Basically you need to run a few experiments/tests to determine if the problem is persistent across all sources. Once you know that, you can then see if it's only on the component inputs of the dvd player etc. THe more experiments, the more you can narrow it down. If you find it on all sources, I'd go to the store and see if you see it on a display model. Perhaps even bring a dvd with you and ask them to hook it up so you can see it. If its not on the store model, then you'll want to exchange your set I would guess.

good luck,

--tom

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
*sigh, same problems on the VCR and on the GameCube, and when watching normal television. :-(

Back to sears tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks