What's new

Color/Hue Changes - Could Cables Be Symptom? (1 Viewer)

AlbertL

Agent
Hello:

Last night while watching a DVD (the new James Bond flick, mindless but fun), I noticed some color and hue changes. The skin tones turned yellowish and then stabilized.

The thing is, this problem occurred before, with a different setup. I thought it was the DVD player, so I replaced it. I went from an inexpensive Samsung progressive scan, to a slightly less inexpensive Toshiba 4800 :)

The first time it was with a Samsung/Sony direct view setup, and it disappeared when I replaced the Samsung. Now it has happened with a Toshiba/Mitsu RPTV setup.

Now I'm thinking the problem is my Monster component cable. I don't know the model of these cables but I'm pretty sure I didn't spend more than $50 on them. They are thick blue cables.

The question I'm asking: Are color and hue changes a symptom of defective or poor cable quality/hookups?

After reading this forum, I went and ordered some bettercables.

I hope I am not just throwing more money away (as I think I may have done with the Samsung and Toshiba DVDs).

Thanks everyone!

Albert

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Albert, if your video cables are running along with your AC cord, that might be your problem. This generate interference and might cause picture distortion, like the changes you're describing. Hope that helps.

Hugo

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
why not return the monster's for a replacement. lifetime warranty against defects and all that.

AlbertL

Agent
Hugo - thanks! I hadn't thought about that. Admittedly the component cable, along with the power cables for 3 other boxes, is stuffed through a 2 inch hole in the back of my entertainment center.

Basically it is one big spaghetti-like mess in the back as well.

And Chu - If cleanup doesn't work I'll return it like you say. There is the snob appeal of the cables I just ordered.... :)

Albert

AlbertL

Agent
Whoops. I actually took a look at the cables tonight, and they AREN'T Monster. I've got several Monster Audio cables, I guess I assumed I went Monster for components.

What I've always thought were premium Monster component cables were actually $13.99 Recoton models. Yep, just like the ones in this picture. I remember buying them now, at Radio Shack.

http://www.123av.com/DetailPage.asp?ProductID=TSVG-362

Well, let's see how the bettercables perform when they get here :) The cables were slightly tangled up but nothing that should have made a huge difference.

:D

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Albert: You should really try to separate Interconnects from Power Cords (AC and speaker wires). Cut another hole in the back of your entertainment center if you must.

While I cannot promise you the problem is your cables, I dont think you will be disapointed in the BetterCables product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks