Color distortion on Hitachi RPTV: Has anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny_J_C, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Johnny_J_C

Johnny_J_C Auditioning

Hi All.....I have a Hitachi 53FDX01B which is now a year old.No complaints about the picture quality up until a week ago or so. Great picture so far actually. But during the last week of the Olympics I noticed a yellowish brown spot had appeared in the very center of the screen.It is only visible against a white background. Of course with all the snow backgrounds at the Olympics it was highly visible a lot.I thought at first maybe it was the satellite input causing this but it is apparent on all inputs(Vcr,Dvd) When I called Sears to arrange for a tchnician to come out and look at it they told me they had never heard of something like this before.The Sears technician came and performed a cleaning maintenance. He checked the CRTs by looking right into them and said there was nothing evident there. Its his opinion that this spot should go away by itself, that it is just "the TV breaking itself in"..Well, I am highly sceptical of this opinion. Has anyone encountered this before?.I am giving it a few weeks to see if he is by chance right, and then I will call them again. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!...ThX, John

2. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

My first (and only) guess is it sounds to me like an electronic field had built up on your screen. Try unplugging the TV for about 30 minutes. It may need to degausse (sp?), which it may not do when you simply turn it off; unplugging should perform this task. Can't say with confidence that it will fix it.

Good luck.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Johnny,
    This may not work, but try turning your contrast down to 30% or so. Most rptvs will develope a yellowish spot in the center when the contrast is too high.

4. Johnny_J_C

Johnny_J_C Auditioning

Thanks Doug and Steve for taking the time to reply.I really appreciate it!.[​IMG]oug: I took your advice and I unplugged the TV over night (last night) but unfortunately the spot is still there.It does seem to be a bit fainter though.I hope its not my imagination.:) Steve: I always found the Tv to be too bright to watch right from the start and usually always had the contrast and/or brightness turned down to about 50-55%..and the brightness at 33%.If I turn it down anymore the picture is too dark to really see well.I wonder if watching the Olympics with all that white in it all the time has anything to do with it? I watched them every day for quite a few hours. Perhaps the spot will eventually fade away with time as the TV is played with more conventional colored backgrounds etc.I'll keep ya posted as to what happens. .............Thanks, guys.Johnny