Color difference vs. color stream?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Hi all,
    This might be a newbie question, but I simply need it answered...I just got my Toshiba 50H81 today, and I was trying to hook up component video input from my DVD (which is 2 years old), but it looks terrible. Then I noticed that the letter designations are different between the DVD and my TV. The DVD has Y,Cr,Cb while the TV has Y,Yb,Yr. Are there any cables out there that can compensate for this? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

They are the same thing (for cable connection purposes):
    Y=Y
    Cr=Pr
    Cb=Pb

3. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

There must be a problem then, because when I connect the DVD to the TV, everything has a strong blue hue. Perhaps there is some subtle difference?
    And, the colors look fine with S-Video, but I would much rather have the component video [​IMG]
    Jason

4. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Sounds like it could be a bad cable. You might want to try another set of component video cables.

5. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

Jason, which DVD player? Some DVD players can only output one signal at a time because they share some of the DAC channels. Do you have an option in your DVD player or a switch on the back to select between S-Video and component?

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Jason - try using the cables on different output/inputs, to see if you get a different color problem. If so, it's a bad cable (happens).

7. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Thanks for the tips everybody. My DVD player is the famed Apex 600A, the one that had the factory protections removed. The DVD has both S-video and Y-Cr-Cb. There is no switch on the back, but the manual says to have only one connected at a time. When I switched the cables around, the blue screen turned red, which agrees with the bad cable hypothesis. Thank you everybody for your help - I am new to this, and it seems almost unreal how polite, civil, and eager to help people are.
    I am off to get my Monster Cable and set this thing to rest once and for all. Thanks again
    Jason