What's new

Color calibration help on Sony SXRD (1 Viewer)

I just got a 55" Sony KDS-55A2020 SXRD TV and I have been trying to calibrate its color. I also have the Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player with the Digital Video Essentials disc. The HD side of the DVE disc does not want to boot up in the XA2 (even with the v2.0 firmware), so I tried to calibrate color using the SD side. I set the hue control so that the color bar test passes when using the blue filter. The color bar test (that uses the red, blue and green filters) seems to be okay as each of the three colors match their reference background pretty closely. However, when I watch anything on the TV, browns, golds and yellows all appear too green. The TV is being fed HDMI signals via an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and my sources are the XA2, a PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or can any owners share their picture settings?

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Blue filters do not always work right on non CRT display types. They are a starting point ... but not necessarily the finish point.

Adjust ... then look at Jennifer with chip chart in title 17-6 to see what she looks like. Readjust the tint and color sat accordingly so she looks okay ...

Now go watch HD stuff and SD stuff ... but realize that up converting SD to HD does not make it HD. I can upconvert VHS to HD to ... and that is not exactly real HD.

SD also deals with a different color triangle compared to the HD one. Just upconverting SD does not magically add all new colors into the SD palette.

Regards

Thanks, I'll use that as a starting point.

I'm at a big disadvantage because the HD side of the DVE disc just will NOT boot up in the XA2. The thing that gets me the angriest is that JKP insists it does. I have seen at least one other XA2 owner that can't get it to work either.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Bummer ...
I can get the HD DVE to work on my A1 ... XBOx 360 ... and my A2 ...

Can you tr to reload 2.0?

Regards

I guess I could try to reload it, but it didn't work on either v1.5 or v2.0. The JKP website claims that it'll work with v1.5 of the A2, A20 and XA2 firmware.

Ken:

Thank you so much for the link. These settings really made all the difference! I did pooch color up to 50 and set the iris to low, but otherwise everything else looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks