color and tint changes from different channels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Does this bother everyone else as much as it does me?[​IMG] Ive spent hours getting the TV set up just the way iI want it.and then notice that about 20% of the channels on the sat are WAY off on color/tint[​IMG] .Wouldnt it be nice if everyone was singing out of the same songbook[​IMG] What do you guys do for this,just readust for the poor channnels?
    or just BAN them from being used[​IMG] LOL.I can be somewhat compulsive on this stuff,so it really tweaks me sometimes.[​IMG]

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Strange isn't it? The channels can be all over the place. Most of the time I see over saturation. HBO and other PPV channels seem pretty good.
    Roll the dice depending on the channel. [​IMG]

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Precisely. The variability of cable and satellite. And it gets worse too. HD is also just as variable from channel to channel and program to program.

Right now, only DVD has some measure of consistency.

Regards

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I understand your fustrations. In the end, what I did was to set up my calibration for DVD viewing and not worry too much about the TV channels. It is beyond my control.

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

That's our NTSC system...Never Twice the Same Color.

Jan

6. John Royster

Simple question though...

Does this color/tint/brightness/constrast variablity come direct from the source or feeds? Or is it someway introduced by the cable/dss provider?

I really have a hard time believing NBC has some joe engineer looking at the monitors and saying "yeah, looks great...see how bloomy those color bars are!"

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Same channel on DSS and DISH look different. Did this experiment on client with 65" Toshiba with both systems.

Ran an HBO HD movie ... 28 days on two systems ...

DSS was slightly on the green side
    DISH was on the purple side

TV was calibrated by this time. So which was right?

Looks like DSS and DISH introduce their own changes to the signal.

Regards

8. John Royster

Thanks Michael.

Interesting indeed. Heck, it seems to vary a little bit on DVD as well but not to the extreme.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, Greg, look at it this way: You calibrated your set to best show DVD. Michael TLV has pretty much nailed it; color/tint levels are all over the place when it comes to broadcast/cable/DBS signals.

10. Greg Kolinski

[​IMG] yeah , the old NTSC thing[​IMG] ,I can tweak my DVD player as its got color ,tint etc adj ,so it cool.I just adjust the Sat color etc to be best on FOX newa,which I watch a lotAs long as O'Reiley isnt sunburned ,im OK[​IMG]

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

With my new RPTV, the inconsistent color tint with cable TV is driving me nuts, but I try to just roll with it for now.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Pat, how do you like the new set now? Does it make you look forward to going home each night?

13. Greg Kolinski

Im with you Pat,[​IMG] It really has been bothering me,I feel better though,now that I know its a universal problem and just not me.

14. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

Thankfully my Panny has three settings. I have cinema mode calibrated to my DVD player and I have normal set to the color of the cinema settings but I set the brightness and contrast a little different. If the color is bad I just tweak it in the normal mode. I'm sure most of your tv's have different modes. There's also a vivid mode that I could set up but I don't bother. I'm just glad that tv manufacturers thought ahead to have different settings so you're not always haveing to tweak the controls.[​IMG]

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Like Aaron, I use one pic mode adjusted per AVIA for my dvds and hd, and another for cable and most satellite channels.

I find that turning color down lower than AVIA spec really helps minimize the different color on different channels problem. Also note that some tv shows are deliberately shot with "off" color.
    CSI, for example is kinda greenish, and West Wing is reddish and oversaturated, on top of being very soft/grainy looking. ER alway seems to have a nice sharp pic with "normal" looking color.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you're messing with service menu setting, those 3 modes can get reset to the factory defaults once you're out of the service menu (so it might be a good idea to write up the numerical values for the different parameter for each mode of viewing). I found this out the hard way. [​IMG]
    The protective screen sort of bothers me due to reflections from behind me, but I may have to just turn down the lights to get rid of the screen reflections.

17. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

NBC shows always tend to be oversaturated, and a bit too orangish to my eye. ABC seems too pale at times. CBS does tend to fall towards greenish. Fox seems okay to greenish as well. WB can be oversaturated as well.