College Student: Need Help on Either Big Screen or Projector. Please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Oct 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Well, it is college time again and time for another toy!
    Last year i bought a full HT setup (Signature) which i love and now i have an apt and need something else. I am about to sell my 27in Magnavox PIP tv for $275 to my brother and sell my paintball gun for $325 so I have a total of around $1100 but im not gonna spend it all. Right now i was looking for a solution that would be best for watching tv and movies. I have looked at both big screens but someone recommened a projector and screen which would give me hdtv for half the price is this true? Anyway, i looked at the magnavox tv 55" projection tv at Bestbuy.com for $1000 shipped which seems like a great deal. Still doesnt beat my friends 61" for $500 from chester county(Hot!!). Anyway, can people chime in with good tv deals or give me the scoop on the whole projector seen. My tv doesnt even haveto be huge just a good tv/price and a semi big screen. Laslty i have looked on ebay and saw that projectors can be cheap for expensive models

Things to remeber
    I watch regular cable tv
    I play video games
    I watch dvd movie

I hope you can help me out, maybe even show me a great deal

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Jeff,

For $1000, I'd advise against that Magnavox RPTV. You'd be getting a large-sized display, but sacrificing picture quality. How large is your room and how far from the set do you intend to sit? If you're going to be spending money in the $1000 ballpark, just make sure that you get a set that can handle 480p--there are plenty of sets in this price range that can do it, with Samsungs offering a lot of value for money, including a 30" 16:9 set that's capable of 480p and 1080i.

As for projectors, I would definitely recommend against them for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of projectors and have one myself, but unless you have a fully light controllable room, flexibility in your room set-up for considerations like throw distance and seating distance, things can get very complicated very quickly. On top of that, for $1000 you'd be looking at a lower-end LCD or CRT projector in the USED market. NEVER buy one off ebay--unless you know the seller and have dealt with them before--there are many pj scams out there. Last but not least, a projector will give you a nearly unwatchable image on regular cable or satellite TV--it could be great for DVDs, but you'll need a a back-up TV for regular everyday use (I do).

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Would this be in your budget...
    Panasonic PT AE-100
    I don't know the availability but if you can find one used then it may be for you.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Eujin I envy you.
    parents want me to buy them a TV for family room so it will be a few years before I can get my own projector.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

ELmO,

There's no need to be too envious, really. Eventhough I thoroughly enjoy my AE100, I'm fully aware that I'm sacrificing some elements of picture quality--whether apparent or actual--in order to obtain a "theater-like" experience. Smaller tube TVs will still look better overall without a doubt. In order to get close to the contrast, black level and light output of a tube set, I'd have to spend a lot more cash on a far more expensive projector--something I'm not in a position to do. Are there days when I wish I'd bought a 34" 16:9 tube set? Definitely. But on the pj, I get a picture almost 3 times larger. This hobby is all about the trade-offs you make and what you can live with. For now, I can live with my pj experiment. Next year might be a different story...

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Jeff,
    You have no business buying anything.
    You are a college student. You are supposed to be poor and suffering. You are not supposed to have fancy HT equipment this early in life. Look...
    After the age of 21, there's no reason to look forward to getting older. Your body just goes to crap, responsibilities increase exponentially, and you don't have any privileges to anticipate until you turn 65 and can get into movies cheaper. All you have to look forward to as you get older is material goods: a home, a boat, a fancy home theater....
    Put that $1000 into an IRA, fix yourself a nice dinner of crackers and Cheese Whiz and thank your lucky stars you have a decent front projector and a sheet to project it on.
    [​IMG] of course.
    Jan