What's new

College Student Apartment HT Setup (1 Viewer)

DavidSBX

Auditioning
Real Name
David
My goal here is high quality, but low cost as possible. From more experienced audiophiles, whats your take on using a PC surround sound system for a small living room area? (THX certified, 5.1, 505 watts)

all comments/advice appreciated, on any of the above.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My college system consisted of my roomates 20" TV, basic cable and my hi-fi VCR. Audio was provided by a 45w/channel Technics stereo pushing Sears speakers. If you can get this equipment, you are doing great. Just don't let someone steal it. I miss those monster speakers.

-Robert

DavidSBX

Auditioning
Real Name
David
haha, fair enough. Yea, I'll prob get the 27'' version of that LCD instead, its $237 cheaper. ( I had the 27'' older version (n2750w) last semester and sold it to my parents...shouldnt have done that, but it didnt have hdmi like the newer models.) And...one of my roommates is paying for the speakers he says.

Also, I prob wont be getting the PS3 until I see some more promising titles...it all depends on how my money spreads out from my tech job this summer.

Not to mention I really just have to get this NEC 20.1'' LCD monitor/HDTV ive been reading about, the 20WMGX2 ( http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_20wgx2.htm )....its $650...

jonny h

Agent
So what will you be using for a tuner? The one in the ViewSonic or something in the HTPC?

PeterK

Supporting Actor
yeah, forget those speakers. I got an old stereo receiver hooked up to some nice garagesale speakers i picked up a couple summers ago for 4 bucks.
Some other guy on my floor here in rez has the Z-5500. our stereo owns him...by far, in terms of output, bass, and SQ

Nate Hackman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan Hackman
Sooo, wait.. you're going to use a stereo headphone jack to power 5.1 multimedia speakers?

No. Get a decent stereo receiver, two bookshelves and a sub. That will give you sound more appropriate to fill a room than multimedia speakers--and you won't need to upmix (if the Z5500 does that to begin with). You're not going to get much benefit out of a 5.1 setup if you're feeding it a stereo signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks