What's new

College opinions wanted!!! (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Hi all. I'm currently attending the University of Tennessee as a freshman and don't really like it due to a number of reasons (I'm rooming with 2 of my friends from high school and I am starting to find out they weren't the people I thought they were.) Anyways, I am probably going to transfer back home and go to Chattanooga State next semester but I really want to get away from home and go somewhere a good 8-10 hours away from home next semester. I don't know if anybody else has ever felt this way but I'm really tired of hanging around my highschool friends because I feel like I can't mature and I'm tired of hanging out with the same people and just being stuck with this burned in image of who I'm supposed to be. Anyways does anybody have any suggestions? I really hate to study a lot but I like to learn about things. Political Science is my main interest right now. Maybe we could get some psychologists here and find out what my problem is because I don't know. I appreaciate any help. Thanks!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I don't have any advice as to which school you should go to, but I wanted to let you know that what you're going through is perfectly normal.

A few years ago when I went off to college I felt the same way. I wanted a chance to become who I wanted to be and break my mold. I wanted a chance to mature and get to be around people I didn't know. I also wanted to be away from my parents. For these reasons I chose a school about 4 hours away from my parents and where I didn't know anybody. I honestly think it was the best thing for me.

Definitely transfer schools if you're not happy where you are. Even though I haven't been out of college too long (2 years) I already realize how beneficial it was and how things could have been very different had I stayed with my parents or kept my same HS friends.

This is the time to follow your heart and do what you think is best.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Everyone's different. I couldn't make any real friendships at my college in Alabama and I hated the school in general so I moved back home and commute to a college in my area. I'm close to my friends and like the area I'm in.

Downside is mommy & daddy are breathing down my neck.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Political Science is my main interest right now.
I was a Poly sci major, and I believe that is your main problem. :) Actually, its a really fun major but nobody will ever talk politics with you again. How about going to Georgia? That is somewhat close and I always heard Athens is a cool town. I know the University of Pittsburgh is supposed to have a good poly sci program but that may be a little further away than you wanted. I transferred 3 times, so I just met a lot more people. Nothing wrong with it, you'll be fine. Just find a place you like.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Why not head up I-75 and give UK a shot :D .

I have had a few political science classes at UK and enjoyed them all. I would say out of the 5 years I have been here, only a handful of teachers stick out as being terrible and not caring. On the positive side, there have been some teachers that have been flat out amazing and I would not trade the experience of taking their classes for anything.

That being said, I think finding the right major for yourself is the biggest key to happiness in college. If you are enjoying what you are studying, life in college seems much much easier. I didn't enjoy my field of study and struggled to adapt to college life my first few years. Once I found my calling however, college course work became much easier and I was much happier at school.

Hope this helps some...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I don't think some people believe when I tell them this story but it is true.
As a HS senior I closed my eyes opened up a college catalogue and dropped my finger to a random spot.
It landed on the University of the Pacific in Stockton CA.
It had an engineering school and I found Stockton on the map and it was close to San Francisco which was cool since I was in Ohio and had no idea where it was.
I applied; got accepted and graduated.
To this day I thank my very talented finger and trusted it and not my hack guidance consoler who told me my math grades were not good enough for engineering and I should go the University of Toledo and live at home

Chris

Senior HTF Member
If you're at a state college, and you're thinking of transfering, and the environment is OK, look at your neighbors.. ie, UK, Miss, etc. You might also consider some of the Big12 schools (Missouri/Kansas/KState/Oklahoma/Texas) if you're really into PolySci, U of Texas & K-State are two of the better "state" colleges in the US that are nearby (not referring to the coasts, where yes, you can also find plenty, but far beyond the 10 hour drive bit)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi all. I'm currently attending the University of Tennessee as a freshman and don't really like it due to a number of reasons (I'm rooming with 2 of my friends from high school and I am starting to find out they weren't the people I thought they were.) Anyways, I am probably going to transfer back home and go to Chattanooga State next semester but I really want to get away from home and go somewhere a good 8-10 hours away from home next semester. I don't know if anybody else has ever felt this way but I'm really tired of hanging around my highschool friends because I feel like I can't mature and I'm tired of hanging out with the same people and just being stuck with this burned in image of who I'm supposed to be. Anyways does anybody have any suggestions? I really hate to study a lot but I like to learn about things. Political Science is my main interest right now. Maybe we could get some psychologists here and find out what my problem is because I don't know. I appreaciate any help. Thanks!
You impress me. You already have matured more than you may suspect. I did (though reluctantly) the same thing. IT was a superb adventure.

oh, and I have a degree in psychology - there is nothing apparent wrong with you from what you described.

If you said you love to study i would consider the possibility something is wrong with you.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I second UGA for the same reasons Jed does. Man if I could go back there I would. Best 4 years of my life.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I went to UTK and absolutely LOVED it. I met so many new people and experienced so much. The people I met and times I had I wouldn't trade for anything. However, I wouldn't leave simply because of your high school friends. I can understand you wanting to grow as a person but consider the entire situation. Do you want to remain friends with your roomies? What have they done that they aren't the same people you thought them to be?

Btw, what dorm are you in that has 3 people to a room? Or are you in an apartment? If you're in an apartment, I'd recommend trying the dorms out for at least a year. As a freshman, that's your social lifeblood - meeting different people, getting connected. Then after a year, reevaluate the living situation. (Plus, it'd give you a good reason to not see your HS friends every day).

Denward

Supporting Actor
From a budget viewpoint, going to a state school and paying non-resident tuition can be a bear. Unless you can foresee moving permanently to that area, or they have some program that has a widespread reputation, I think it's a poor value proposition. If you want to be ultimately back in Chattanooga, a degree from Kansas (or wherever) wouldn't be considered a negative, but you won't get the benefits of any alumni networking.

Having said that, I'm a big believer in getting away from the parents when you go to college. I went to college about 3000 miles away from my parents.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Van-
Are you locked into a housing contract until the end of the year? If not, I would suggest switching roommates...what you are describing happened to so many of my friends when they went to in-state schools and lived with HS friends. Consider clubs/fraternities if thats something that interests you.

How are your grades (or how will they be :) )? Before you throw around the T-word, make sure you've got decent marks, otherwise its gonna limit your choices. If your grades need work, your best bet may be to stay put.

IMHO, if money isn't the problem, I would strongly recommend against moving back home. I would treat that as a last option.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered The University of the South, often called Sewanee? This is a small, liberal art college in your home state with an excellent reputation. It about halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga. I’m not sure about its political science program, but these small, liberal arts colleges typically give individual students a lot of attention and provide undergraduates a much better foundation than larger, well-known institutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks