What's new

College Dorm Room Sub (1 Viewer)

Steebrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen B.
Whats going on people... I am a college student in Italy, however I am in the States for a couple more weeks. I am looking into getting a sub for my home theater.
Heres the guidelines:

1. Of course I am just a poor college kid so it needs to be fairly inexpensive.
2.I have a 7.1 receiver already and all speakers except for a sub.
3. I am not looking for the biggest punch in the smallest / cheapest package since base level will be an issue in the building concerning all of my neighbors.
4. I need a sub with good sound that will add to the total experience of the theater but I am clueless on where to start looking since I have never owned a sub before.

Thanks in advance for any feedback I receive... chow

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Want the best advice? Wait until you graduate.

If that's not an option, look to the smaller SVS sealed (not ported) cabinet subs. They are a lot of sub for the money. You didn't mention your budget, but if you need to go cheaper, look into buying something pre-owned.

Steebrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen B.
Well Shane I really want a sub and i've got some money to spare so I am gonna get one now.

Yeah perfect Thomas...My budget is right around the 200 dollar mark. So if I decide to get the 12 inch sub, what would be the best way to connect it to my receiver? I noticed on the picture of the back of the sub...it looks like there is just RCA audio out. On my receiver there is a sub input but its just 1 hole, not red and white. Do you own one of these. And if so how do they sound. Any tips or tricks to properly set them up in the theater? What does the "Phase" switch mean?

Thx

JaceTheAce

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
If you are using it for a college dorm room I wouldn't go with anything more than an 8" sub since your dorm room is most likely small. You don't want to bother the neighbors. The HSU STF-1 is a decent sub, it has an 8" driver, and it's only $250.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of Jason - about your neighbors - when I said to wait until after graduation.

Steebrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen B.
Yeah but I dont even know when I'll graduate, since im also playing for a professional soccer team in Italy. Plus I better expound on my "dorm room"... Its not like a normal small college room its actually comparable to an apartment. It has 1 bathroom a living room, kitchen, 1 bedrooms, and like a loft bedroom thingy. The living room has been converted to the HT and its dimensions are roughly 9'x20'. It kinda takes up the dining room space but its all mine since my roommate was recently cut from the team. Anywho like I said in my post I have to be aware of living all connected and surrounded to my neighbors but I do have some leeway for level of sound since it is a fairly big place.

That sub sounds good Jace, it got some really good reviews from sites like audioholics. I am gonna have to check it out.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kranker007