College Cheating and MU's Paige Laurie

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

For those that don't know, Paige Laurie, daughter of Bill Laurie (owner of St. Louis Blues) and his wife (heir to the Walton fortune) is a big wig around these parts. With worth slightly over $2.4B as of today, they donated a big chunk of money to the University of Missouri ($25M) to build their new sports arena.. which they promptly named after their daughter, Paige.. who did not attend MU (she went to USC) and apparently, didn't really work that hard at USC..

If you missed the 20/20 segment.. let's just call it a riot.. while they were interviewing the girl who was being paid to write Paige's papers and do her work, Paige called and was upset with the paper she received and asked that it be "re-edited". She was paid, over a four year stint, almost $20,000 to do Paige's homework..

Ha, damn, cracks me up.

I know, people talk about Paris Hilton, but let me break it to you, Paris Hilton couldn't carry Paige Laurie's water. Paige Laurie is worth close to $2.4B on her own after full inheritence, etc; her family is worth slightly over $50B counting aunties and so forth.. meanwhile, Paris Hilton is barely worth $50M.. so you're talking uber power brokers here.

So, now, MU has a beautiful new auditorium named after a non-alum who apparently cheated her way through college.

http://atmizzou.missouri.edu/oct04/PaigeDedication.htm

I can just picture teams coming in to play, and the chants they could offer..

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Of course, they open the stadium, the night of this story, with a loss to unranked Davidson.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Man, they build this stadium AFTER I leave? I'm guessing the real MU fans are starting to miss Norm Stewart a bit more now.

With UNC losing to Santa Clara, and Kansas almost losing, this college basketball season is going to be interesting.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There have been numerous local news reports about this now. Bill Laurie, who was not a fan of Norm Stewart, made sure the arena would not be named after him. At this point, though, with MU's problems under Quin Snyder with some players, and this fiasco, there is talk about an outside entity paying a naming fee to rename it the Norm Stewart Arena.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

They should. Norm Stewart is what I think most people think of when you say "Missouri Basketball".

I remember watching him coach against OU and Billy Tubbs when Billy uttered the words that made me laugh "Regardless of how bad the officiating is, please don't continue to boo them". He said this over the intercomm [​IMG]

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Is she hot at least? [​IMG]

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

No, IMO she is not hot.

As a KU fan I love this story. The taxpayers pay for 2/3 of the arena and want to name it after the right person, Norm Stewart but because MU accepted Walmart money they had to name it after a 21 year old party girl, who bailed the state as soon as she was 18. Bill Laurie is an absolute jerk and married into the money that he uses to bully and intimidate others and flaunts it like he actually earned it. Its no surprise he has a daughter as lazy and morally corrupt as himself. [​IMG]

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Here's a pic:

http://www.examiner.net/images/03270...URI_ARENA2.jpg

She is not unatractive, and I'm assuming with the mass of wealth, she brings a few onboard [​IMG]

But, the whole thing regarding this foul up with their arena is a disaster. You've now named a piece of university property after a 21 year old girl who did not go to school there, and who cheated her way through USC university by paying other students to do her work.

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

she's alright looking. pretty much vanilla if you ask me.

kevin t

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor