College Basketball

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Potts, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Hey all,
    Since college ball has now started play, I find myself wondering if the rest of the season is going to be as crazy as these first couple of weeks has been. There's been what, 10 or so ranked teams that have been upset in the last several days, including my beloved Kansas Jayhawks [​IMG]. KU lost to Ball State this afternoon, and Duke was nearly beaten by Seton Hall this evening. What the hell? I'm curious as to what everyone else's take on this season is.
    Also, who's your team and who do you think will be contenders at the end of the season?

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Long time Kentucky Wildcats fan here. Problem is... I live in Canada, so I hardly get to watch any ball until just before 'the tournament'. Of course I hope for Kentucky to finish well, I also believe that Duke will make the elite eight at least this year. Probably further. Ask me again much later, as I haven't gotten to watch any games this year.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't freak, guys. Remember that Maryland lost their first two games last year (I think it was) and went on to the Final Four. Duke beat their opponent today by 1.
    Basically this is still the preseason, but the games count. [​IMG] Unlike college football this isn't a live and die with each game scenario. The teams will gel and get better by tournament time, and that's when they need to make some noise.
    I would love to hear what Dickey V. would have had to say had Duke lost.
    I still remember in 1995 when the UCLA Bruins went 30-2 and won the national championship. What did Dickey V. say right after it happened? Congratulations UCLA? No...it was "Watch out for Duke next year, baby..." What a complete Duke knob. I like Krzyzewski and respect that program, but I hope one day they tank it big time in the first round and Dickey V. takes a flying leap off of a Duke campus building! [​IMG]

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Illi fan right here. I hope Frank Williams kicks some butt this year.

Jon

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Michigan fan first, Big Ten fan second. With Tommy Amaker at the helm, Michigan basketball will be back. However, I think he will need at least one more recruiting year until we see his true effect on the program. That said, Illinois and Iowa look like the front-runners in the Big Ten this year.
    Just one more item to mention - I HATE DUKE! [​IMG]

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Illinois will be great this year; in fact, Duke's narrow victory last night may vault the Illini to #1.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jon and Brian, I'm with you. I just hope Illinois can avoid the upset bug. Go Illini!

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I'm a die-hard Sparty, and I will, of course be cheering for them to make another run, but all signs are pointing to it being the Illini's year.

As for Michigan, I like Amaker as a coach, but he has his work cut out for him in a conference with Self, Izzo, and Keady. It would be great to see a consistently strong in-state rivalry between MSU and UM where both teams are contending for Big Ten and national prominence year in and year out.

Regards,

9. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I'm a huge Connecticut Huskies fan. Unfortunately, I think since they won it all, they are on their way down. [​IMG] They did beat Vandy last night pretty easily though.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Another Michigan fan here. I agree that Amaker will need some time to rebuild a program that had hit rock bottom. Their previous coach was barely qualified to coach a Mid America Conference team, but was completely outmatched in the Big Ten.

11. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Kevin,

I see you and I have many conversations this season as I'm a OSU Cowboys fan. Already 3-0 with 2 wins over teams (Cinn. & Providence) that are projected to be in the tournament, unless of course they fall on their face. Can't wait for the Hawks to visit GIA the best arena in the nation.

Go Pokes

12. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

13. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Diehard Dukie here. To all you Michigan guys, Amaker is on loan so do not get too comfortable. Maybe the old rivalry will get started again, some of the greatest college basketball games ever played were between Duke and Mich.

My boss, who graduated from Seton Hall is really happy with his one point loss. I have to remind him that the National Championship has never been won or lost in November.

14. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah, the best arena in the nation is actually a stadium by the name of Cameron Indoor.

15. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

16. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

As an alumni, it's the UCLA Bruins for me!

17. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Kevin,
    I believe since KU is coming to GIA the championship will go through Stillwater, as long as those damn longhorns don't give us problems. If I could remind you the last time KU came to Stillwater I believe Roy left with the worst defeat in his career.
    Chad,
    Not according to CBS Sportsline, Cameron Indoor is #2 GIA #1

18. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

19. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    As an alum, I'm happy to see Iowa ranked in the top ten this year. I expect them to do well this year.

20. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Phillip,
    With all due respect to CBS Sportsline, that is blasphemy. However, if I ever get a chance to go to GIA I will make a direct comparison. Also, I hope your team beats the shit out of Kansas (damn over-rated coach with UNC bloodline).[​IMG]
    Jeff,
    Not only that game, but some of the games when they had the home and home series going were phenomenal.
    Charles JP,
    Big game for you on Nov. 27.
    The ACC/Big 10 Challenge gets [​IMG] [​IMG]