What's new

Collector's Edition of Carlito's Way (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
when the disc kicks in, the Universal logo kicks in and we get 3 trailers... Scarface, Animal House and Meaning of Life, this is nice, but I am afraid to say, that like early BV discs. there is no way round them - you have to sit through them every time!
Try pressing "stop" on your remote when the FBI Warning screen comes up. Then "Play." Movie should start immediately. Sucks, but that's the best workararound I've been using for Animal House. Should also work for Carlito.

Cheers,

H

Hank

I just received mine and noticed that there is no chapter insert inside. Is Universal doing what MGM does with their cheap titles, no inserts? Scanned through some of it and transfer seems better than the non-16:9 release. Gonna watch this tonight.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Universal is getting cheap with no chapter inserts. There are no chapter inserts for their High School Reunion (The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science) either.

Britton

Screenwriter
No chapter insert for Animal House: DSP. Just some crapy about that Sobe thing or whatever it's called.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Can't believe my good luck...wandered into Coconuts today and they were selling the new CE for $9.99!!!!

Might have been a mistake because some other copies (including the old edition) on the shelf were marked higher.

Don't feel the least bit guilty though, since I paid top dollar for the LD.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Just went to Coconuts...$16.99. I asked the guy to ring it up to see what came up...and he refused to. *sigh* :frowning:

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
It's out & I've had my copy since last Thur. The transfer is an improvement over the current disc & is well worth the upgrade.
Some quick comments...

I agree that it's worth the upgrade. Image is very stable, with respectable sharpness - even on larger displays. The only moire funkyness seen was the aerial shot of Penn walking within a fenced pathway at Riker's Island. However, I can't imagine how this challenging shot can look better in standard definition.

I saw no compression noise. There were a handful of scenes exhibiting vertical EE outlines, but on the whole, it was a very pleasing experience.

Audio showed up as 5.1 (I believe the prior release was 5.0), but still is a front-dominated mix. I do not recall hearing discrete surround information other than ambience, but the mix is effective and engaging. Audio level was a bit low, but raising the volume is no big deal.

Still, a very nice transfer, and the 1/2 hour documentary was very well done!

Cheers,

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's the story with this title? It seems to be very difficult to find anymore. Most places are out of stock. I searched the forum and see no mention of a new release.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I held off on getting this cuz I couldn't seem to determine if the version I'd be purchasing online would be anamorphic or not. An word on an SE?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I don't believe the old pressing is available anymore. As far as I know, the new anamorphic version is what's currently being sold (old copies floating around in eBay notwithstanding), and it's as close to an SE as i think we're going to get!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Once again Felix, the issue being discussed is that the new version appears to also not be available anymore.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am viewing the Ultimate Edition of Carlito's Way, which was released earlier this week. I'll post a full review later.

Initial impressions...

DTS track... good.
Video quality... excellent.
Supplements... sounds like a lot of overlap with the Collector's Edition

Oh, and the DVD is dual-sided.

More to come...

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks