Collector's Edition of Carlito's Way

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chad Gregory, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Just listed on Universal's web site as a Collector's Edition. Release date 9/2/03.

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the heads up, lets hope for a commentary

[​IMG]

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I doubt a commentary will happen, but I remember reading that Laurent Bouzereau was the one working on the special features which should make this DVD a treat.
    But why does it have to be 09/02? Why??? [​IMG]

Chris

4. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Good God almighty! Is Universal re-releasing every one of their DVDs on 9/2 EXCEPT for Flash Gordon? Grrrr. [​IMG]

Anyway, I am VERY excited about this release. [​IMG]

"Sorry boys, all the stitches in the world can't sew me together again. Lay down...lay down. Gonna stretch me out in Fernandez funeral home on hun and ninth street. Always knew I'd make a stop there, But a lot later than a whole gang of people thought Last of the Mo-Ricans, well maybe not the last. Gail's gonna be a good mom New improved Carlito Brigante Hope she uses the money to get out No room in this city for big hearts like us... Sorry baby, I tried the best I could. Honest Can't come with me on this trip loaf Getting the shakes now, Last call for drinks, Bars closing down Sun's out Where are we going for breakfast, Don't wanna go far Rough night Tired baby... Tired..."

5. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Well its about damn time...this is one of my all-time favorites and I consider it a better film than Scarface and Pacino's best performance...thank you Universal! [​IMG]

6. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure i read scarface has been bumped back a couple weeks to 9/29 street date. Whatever they do they should release carlito's way on the same date. Maybe give a discount if you buy both but probably doubtful on that aspect.

7. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

Yes!!!!!!!! About time, finally in anamorphic widescreen!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Great, all we need now is Half-Baked Ultimate Edition and we're good to go!

9. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

One of my favorite and most watched films.

Any additional info on special features or is it just improved A/V? Either way, I'll double dip just for the anamorphic transfer.

Not only was it one of Pacino's best performances, I think it was Penn's best performance.

Everyone remember LOTR star, Viggo Mortensen's performance as Lalin? Great stuff.

"You think you like me? You ain't like me motherfucker! I've been with made people, connected people! Who've you been with? Chain snatching, jive talking motherfuckers! Why don't you get out of here and go snatch a purse!" - Carlito Brigante

10. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

www.dvdanswers.com had some menu shots and the cover a while ago. From memory, the features appeared to be a 'making-of', trailer and photo gallery. And the cover is horrendous - some dumbwit decided they had to brighten up Al Pacino's face [​IMG] I'm too lazy to find the link, but check it out for yourselves!

11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Yeah, I saw that wretched cover at Universal's site yesterday. It's horrible!

Neil

12. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Wow, Collector's Editions aren't what they used to be.

14. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I've been hold'n off on the current non-anamorphic dvd as I already have the LTRBX version on vhs.

Mark me down as a sale on this one!

15. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

I read on UK website that this was an extended edition - meaning, to me, that it was a longer cut.

I'd lose it if that was true, as I love this flick.

16. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I don't think DePalma believes in going back and re-cutting films.

Neil

17. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Yes, wouldn't understand a re-cut either as it's near prefect.

Still, I'm praying the 'making of' is a good 30 minutes and not some fluffy EPK that was made in 1993!

What was on the Laserdisc?

18. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I read the report about an extended version on an unreliable website (who previously claimed there would be no extended Fellowship of the Ring), they were quoting "trade sources".

The British Board of Film Classification classified a widescreen version of the film on 4 July 2003 with the exact same running time as the previously classified video version.

It's also a Universal film in both territories, and I don't believe we would get an extended version in the UK without the US getting the same. So I don't think it likely at all.

19. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Good god...that coverart is the worst I have ever seen! Universal...you suck! *PUKE* [​IMG]

20. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I just have this gut feeling that the Making of isn't an EPK.

Judging from how Universal works, they don't usually include that immediately. I guess i'm judging from Sea of Love and others that have been released. It'll probably be very short...without even the top actors being a part of it.

As for me, I'm annoyed that the AWESOME teaser trailer isn't going to be included. I dunno if the rest of you remember it but I still have it on tape from E!'s Coming Attractions.

Anyone remember it?