What's new

Collector tins and Steelbooks (1 Viewer)

breeezer

Agent
Real Name
Bryce
Are there many people here who prefer to buy blu rays in collector tins and steelbook editions? I only have a few, and I tend to take the cases out and store the tins in a closet somewhere. I like the cases to match in size as much as possible, but with all the collector editions coming out, there must be many people who love these tins!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are there many people here who prefer to buy blu rays in collector tins and steelbook editions?

I'm actually the opposite, weird as that may sound. I like the standard Blu-ray packaging. I have about 1000 discs in my collection, and it's a little annoying to me that they don't all match. I realize that there was probably zero chance that that was ever gonna happen, but if there are two releases of the same title, where the disc content is identical between the two but one comes in a tin and one comes in a regular case, I'll pick the regular case every time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'll only buy steelbooks when I'm really bored AND come across the steelbook version for around the same price (or less) as the normal generic bluray version.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Yes, I prefer steelbooks but unfortunately most have bad art so I don't have many.

My favourite one is this:
72905_large.jpg

Followed by this:
80400_large.jpg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
When I'm getting a movie title, I want the best possible version of the title; this includes the best possible picture, the most bonus features, and the best looking packaging. Sometimes I take awful flimsy recycled blu ray case and put the disc(s) back in the DVD case because many times the DVD came in a gorgeous package that included textile bonuses: booklets, memos, reproductions, lobby cards, and other fun stuff. It all adds to the grandeur of the set. That's why I love the box sets. I don't so much love the ones that don't Fit nicely on My shelf, but I love the stuff they contain. For example, the DVD of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD came in a beautiful clamshell package with several paper items. I put the blu ray discs in the DVD box.

On the other hand, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA came in a huge box. But that was the only way to get the bonus bonus features disc.

I very much DISLIKE when they make you buy a the big box just to get the extra disc.

Now I know there are Many out there who dislike bonus features, but to me they enhance the film tenfold. Even 100 fold, if they include the right bonus features.

As for steelbooks, I like them. In fact, some of them are pretty cool! Now, I've made the mistake of buying the steelbook thinking it was an upgrade. I like the steelbook much better than the flimsy, recycled blu cases. MUCH BETTER.

But when I get separate discs of a title (THE QUIET MAN, IE,) with different bonus features, I need to get a multi disc case and include all the discs and papers (if any).

Sometimes I get a digi book (ie, region B THE ELEPHANT MAN) its a very nice package and I can't get rid of it, so i need to put the US DVD in the digi book (for the bonus features) so I carefully attach a tricky DVD spider to the case if possible (it was).

But I digress...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I very much DISLIKE when they make you buy a the big box just to get the extra disc.

I agree completely. I have that same Lawrence box, and while the book and everything else are nice, I flipped through them for about five minutes, and I'm done forever with them now. I wouldn't have purchased the box otherwise, but I very much wanted the extra disc. I've watched the extra disc more than once, but haven't revisited the packaging swag since I first opened it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I agree completely. I have that same Lawrence box, and while the book and everything else are nice, I flipped through them for about five minutes, and I'm done forever with them now. I wouldn't have purchased the box otherwise, but I very much wanted the extra disc.

Exactly the same with me.
Well, the box looks good as a decorative element at least.
And if I get a larger coffee table for my living room, I'll put the box (or just the book), there.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Exactly the same with me.
Well, the box looks good as a decorative element at least.
And if I get a larger coffee table for my living room, I'll put the box (or just the book), there.
Like several of you, I purchased the LoA Deluxe Box Set
81y2WVmUJLL._SL1500_.jpg

(for $80.00 at Costco!!!) and was "happy" do do so ... the Box itself is in storage now but I pulled the bluray set out and it is with my other David Lean directed blurays ...

I thought about attempting to hang the box without the Blurays on the wall ... but even without them it was too heavy to try and have anything short of a shelf to support it.

I live in an area where the outside temperature ranges from about 20 F (bbrrrrr) to 129F and both extremes I think would wreak havoc on the discs inside should the climate control be amiss (which for both of the apartments I lived in was often an issue ...)

My Disney Treasures Tins I only purchased because that was the only way Disney offered them ... There has been only one "Steelbook" type packaging I wanted to get and that was the Forbidden Planet DVD set
914McyFrbmL._SL1500_.jpg

... I was going to take the set work - sans discs .. but as things at work tended to grow legs and walk away ... I changed my mind ...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Like several of you, I purchased the LoA Deluxe Box Set
81y2WVmUJLL._SL1500_.jpg

(for $80.00 at Costco!!!) and was "happy" do do so ... the Box itself is in storage now but I pulled the bluray set out and it is with my other David Lean directed blurays ...

I thought about attempting to hang the box without the Blurays on the wall ... but even without them it was too heavy to try and have anything short of a shelf to support it.

I live in an area where the outside temperature ranges from about 20 F (bbrrrrr) to 129F and both extremes I think would wreak havoc on the discs inside should the climate control be amiss (which for both of the apartments I lived in was often an issue ...)

My Disney Treasures Tins I only purchased because that was the only way Disney offered them ... There has been only one "Steelbook" type packaging I wanted to get and that was the Forbidden Planet DVD set
914McyFrbmL._SL1500_.jpg

... I was going to take the set work - sans discs .. but as things at work tended to grow legs and walk away ... I changed my mind ...
I have that DVD steel book of Forbidden Planet and it's gorgeous. I also have the steel book of the original King Kong DVD and the two are my favorite disc packages. I've put the blu rays in them.

I seldom collect special packaging. I am a sucker for dinosaurs and when the special edition of Jurassic World came out with the T-Rex and the Indominus Rex, I jumped. I've never grown out of my childhood love of dinosaurs.

I also bought the "Alien Egg" and not on sale. It is gorgeous, but it put it below the three I've mentioned. I don't collect tins and it has to be something that I really, really want, or is the only available way to get the disc. Such as the steel book of KK: Skull island that had both 3D and 4K.

Edit: I failed to mention I got the JW dinosaur set on sale for $30.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have that DVD steel book of Forbidden Planet and it's gorgeous. I also have the steel book of the original King Kong DVD and the two are my favorite disc packages. I've put the blu rays in them.

I seldom collect special packaging. I am a sucker for dinosaurs and when the special edition of Jurassic World came out with the T-Rex and the Indominus Rex, I jumped. I've never grown out of my childhood love of dinosaurs.

I also bought the "Alien Egg" and not on sale. It is gorgeous, but it put it below the three I've mentioned. I don't collect tins and it has to be something that I really, really want, or is the only available way to get the disc. Such as the steel book of KK: Skull island that had both 3D and 4K.

Edit: I failed to mention I got the JW dinosaur set on sale for $30.

I love Dinosaurs, too! Fascinating!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love Dinosaurs, too! Fascinating!
I think if you surveyed 10 males at random, at least 5 would have at least a moderate interest in dinosaurs. 3 out of the 10 would be very interested. I have absolutely no data to back up this claim, except for the success over many, many years of dinosaur themed movies.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I think if you surveyed 10 males at random, at least 5 would have at least a moderate interest in dinosaurs. 3 out of the 10 would be very interested. I have absolutely no data to back up this claim, except for the success over many, many years of dinosaur themed movies.
I support this claim :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Collector Tins yes, steelbooks not so much. The Disney tins are still my most treasured possessions.

Those are my "if the house is burning down and you only have time to grab one set from the movie shelves before fleeing for your life" choices. Hopefully it never comes to that!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't particularly care for steelbook packaging, preferring "standard" cases. BUT if the steelbook, or tin, package contains stuff I can't get elsewhere or costs less than the standard package, I'll purchase it instead.

A co-worker has been purchasing GOT in the steelbook editions. It started because those early seasons had Dolby ATMOS while the regular releases did not (that's now changed). He hates them because the discs are stacked on a single spindle inside the case and difficult to remove. Still, he purchases those so the set looks consistent.

I absolutely love the Alex Ross artwork on the individual Universal Monsters BR steelbook releases. But I already own the films so won't purchase those for the package (actually the art). Plus they'd go sideways on the shelf (absolutely no room for presentation storage) and those nice covers would rarely be seen. I'll just look up the art on the internet when I think about it and want to see it again.

I purchased the King Kong tin, solely for the extra, then unavailable anywhere else, movies inside. The tin is attractive but doesn't fit the shelf so it's in storage, with the schwag inside, while the movies, in their standard cases, are on the shelf. It's the same for any "special" packaging, Disney tins included. (Hmmm... I've actually upgraded all those films in the Kong set to BR so that entire package could be reunited and put in storage.)

I absolutely hate coffee table sized books. I refuse to purchase them 99% of the time (it has to be something I lust after before I'll make the purchase). I've passed on many books and comics because it wasn't published in a "standard" shelf-friendly size. If I purchase movies or music which comes in oversized packaging I always move the discs to "standard" packaging and store the oversized junk in the garage. I wish my practical side would allow me to just toss such fluff as I'll never look at, or pull it out, ever again. I frequently forget I even have such stuff in storage.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I realized long ago having suffered through the great beenie baby collapse of the late ‘90s, that these “collectables” really have no value. That’s all I have to say right now, I am going to the basement to admire my “collectable lithographs suitable for framing” which came with my purchase of the first VHS edition of the 3 Star Wars movies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I realized long ago having suffered through the great beenie baby collapse of the late ‘90s, that these “collectables” really have no value.

(On a more general tangent).

Back in the day when I was really young, I gradually figured out how supply and demand functioned at a practical level.

I figured if something was that easily available, then there would have to be a humongous demand to sustain a high price. For things that I was interested in those days, I saw that public interest in something "collectable" receded when a particular "trend" faded away.

For example back in the day, such as Star Wars stuff after Return of Jedi left the local theater screens. A few years later, it was easy to find Star Wars figures and other stuff in discount/liquidation stores, garage sales, thrift shops, etc ....

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(With that being said, on some background).

When I was young, I was sent away a few times to live with relatives. One particular relative attended farm type auctions where the bidding was done live. Many times my cousins and I were brought along to these auction events, which was where I was first fascinated by how things worked.

It took a lot of dumb questions and observation at these auctions, until I was able to figure out what was going on. (ie. Supply and demand, etc ...).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I normally won't pay more for a steelbook unless it contains extra material that a standard release lacks. I love the gimmicky packaging (statues, vehicles, etc.) when I don't have to pay a fortune for it, but I can't justify paying more than just a little above the standard edition price unless it's something really special. Even then, I only own a couple of those. I miss the days of laserdisc box sets that had lobby cards, posters, books, soundtracks, etc. so I love it when I can get a nice Blu-ray release that includes similar items. They have to be relevant to the film, though. No chintzy shot glasses or the like for me. Sadly, these days even a booklet is a luxury item.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks