What's new

Collection Trimming (1 Viewer)

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I choose most of my movies from the IMDb top 250 and the AFI top 100 movies. I figure with the IMDb, all the people who are voting, the majority should know what's good and what's bad. Thanks to these listings, I've been turned on to High Noon, Rebecca, Vertigo, 12 angry men, and more. I don't think I would have gone out and bought a black and white western that was older than me and sit down and watch it, but I found High Noon to be about the best movie I've watched.

Over the past few months the top 40 on the IMDb hasn't changed much so I figure those are pretty much classics.

I keep these movies and hope that my kids will see it on the shelf, take it down and watch it, and appreciate it rather than watch some of the stuff they make today and lose their attention after the first half hour.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Like most, I have blind purchases that I havent liked I get rid of. Not many,as Im pretty picky, but will pick up a blind purchase based on great reviews.Theres about 10 DVDs I wanted to get last year that I had to say "oh well" Ill eventually see it on cable (I dont rent either)(Movies like Saw,Open Water,I Robot,etc)

My purchases have gone way down since most of my catalogue titles are done(except rereleases).I only have 6 DVDs on my list between now and the end of May.The only ones Im interested in blind right now is The Machinist and Life Aquatic.

I also have some Ive bought becuase I havent seen it in a long time and it was cheap. I used to trim my collection once or twice a year but havent bothered the past few.

I dont even really bother will ebay either anymore. Unless youre gonna sell in bulk,like 20 DVDs at a time, its just not worth the aggravation.

My collection is about 85-90% "Must Own", but if I want something out of my collection, I usually just give it away to my brother,friends or someone who wants it.I just go to work "Who wants Basic Instinct on DVD?" "I do","Who wants Bedazzled?"(got it for $5 at CC)"Ill take it" and theyre gone :)

Matthew Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I just like movies even though I might not like it I like to entertain and if people come over and say hey do you have that movie normally I can say yes. Also lately I have watched some movies that were ok I have been rewatching and liking more and more. I was bored with Neopolean Dynamite in theaters bought it on DVD and watched it and like it more GOSH.

As for renting I like to watch movies over and again so renting is 4 bucks but lets say in one year I watch it 4 or 5 times I should have just bought it and had it without going to the store fighting lines, not having the title I want, and then get asked to join this would you like to add. I just a pain call me lazy.

As far as the buying on the blind I do usually all the time I have been surprised. I dont mind dishing out 20 bucks for 3 dvds and not being blow away. Plus I have been buying the movies that I liked when I was younger like Flight of the Navigator of course not the best movie but liked it as kid. I also buy alot of tv titles but I only count those as one dvd. I like having more dvds than the local rental store anyways.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Oh, one more reason I impulse buy at the $7.50 - $10 price point is if I buy the movie, watch it once, and end up not liking it. I can easily get at least $5 for it on ebay or selling it to someone I work with. So if I only paid $7.50 for it, I consider it a $2.50 rental fee! :D

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to get into politics, but I do know that a lot of the military units in Iraq and Afghanistan have or have access to DVD players, but have limited access to movies (only what they brought or are sent to them). So, if anyone is just looking to get rid of some movies they don't want anymore, it might be a nice thing to adopt an outfit.

Just a thought.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ryan,
regarding the blind buy issue, it gets me scratching my head as well, and I do blind buy! :)

I'm not proud of it, and as I said i'm trying to stop.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron

My brother-in-law did a tour recently with the Canadian peacekeepers in Afghanistan and said that traders come around regularly and have pirate DVDs to sell (before anyone asks, yes he did partake), so that's not strictly true ;-).

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyway, back on topic, since the idea of a fluctuating collection is an important element of my collection... I read a similar post a while back at another forum, and I posted this message:

I’m all about a constantly fluxing DVD collection. Most of the time I buy DVDs knowing they’ll stay in my collection forever. Still, sometimes they aren’t as good as I remember, other times I test films out, and if they aren’t that good for me or my wife, I’ll sell them later. I also sell DVDs that have been or will be re-released in improved editions (hence I have even sold Criterions—The Silence of the Lambs [at a nice profit, mind you]). DVD Aficionado is the best place for me to keep things organized.

When I buy them, and I’m not sure I’ll keep them, I’ll place them in a “limbo” folder. These titles are DVDs that I might sell. I have to either still watch them or watch them again to make a final decision. You can see it here:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...o&id=slowcloud (man, there are a lot here now, as I have been doing much more buying than viewing)

Then I have my “For Sale” folder of titles I have for sale (I use eBay, Half and Amazon):
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...m&id=slowcloud

I even make good use of DVD Aficionado’s “Have Seen” folder, keeping track of the films I once owned but have sold, which is a sub folder in “Have Seen” titled “Have Seen/Sold.” I think there are many great films out there, but they aren’t all worth keeping and re-watching for me. Some of these movies are super heavy movies such as Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark. I like to think of lots of these movies in my “Have Seen/Sold” as an extension of my collection, which I do hold dear in some way (but space and economy overrule sentiment). Check out my “have seen” folder here:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...d&id=slowcloud

Finally, I make careful decisions on what films are worth buying at all. Hence, I never seem to loose money on the DVDs I sell. Popular titles are the worst investments (especially most previously viewed items at DVD rental shops). If I didn’t see them in the theater, I’ll borrow those from a friend, who seems to buy almost every new release on those infamous Tuesdays. If I want to watch a rare title he doesn’t have, I’ll rent those, or, for the most part, skip them all together. I even keep a DVD “To Rent” wishlist on DVD Aficionado:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...t&id=slowcloud

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well I got rid of all the ones I didn't want anymore and having been getting a few at Blockbuster during their 2 for 24 deal. And I'm still not done I fear I never will be :)

Matthew Cook

Stunt Coordinator
my whole problem with trimming is that I wont want to watch a dvd for a while and then boom I want to see it. If I dont have the dvd I will just go out and have to re buy it. Pain in my ***.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks