What's new

Collection Trimming (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Do you find you trim your collections like once a year for those titles you wish you never bought or titles you don't watch as much anymore?

I find myself in that situation now it just seems like I have my "core" DVDs that I watch regularly and the others are just collecting dust.

Plus there is alot of DVDs I want that I just haven't gotten around to getting yet (been getting more TV Season Sets lately) so I want to get caught up so to speak.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I'm never satisfied with my collection, so I find myself trimming it a couple times a year. Getting ready for another culling soon.
Todd

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
The only time I did this was when BlockBuster was offering $8 per DVD trade. Got rid of about 30 from my collection. I've got around 325 right now, but there are a lot of TV sets included in that number. I tend to buy them more than movies now.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just sold off about 65 of my 900-some DVDs - these were either titles that were blind buys that I ended up not liking (like National Lampoon's Van Wilder, 101 Nights), films I have come to dislike over the years (American Pie, Meet the Parents), films I never even liked in the first place but ended up buying anyway for some reason (The Whole Nine Yards, Inspector Gadget, Moulin Rouge, Scream 3 (I don't even have the first two), films I got for free (Stepmom, Lost in Space, Lethal Weapon 4, 6 days 7 nights), or films that I would like to replace with better special editions - current, upcoming, or rumored (Many Disney DVDs, Moonlighting pilot, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Stagecoach, Manchurian Candidate, The Wild Bunch, Invisible Man, The Searchers, Clerks)... I could go on for a while.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I do not rent, whatsoever, so if I missed a movie in the theatre, it is a blind buy. That being said, if I do not like it, I will keep it as there was a reason for me to initially get it. These movies, like The Others, Winner Takes All, Whole 10 Yards, etc were movies that I had heard were excellent or to be honest, dirt cheap. Eventually, I want to amass my own library, and have different selections of different types of films - regardless of the qualities, I know which ones are good and which are not.

ry.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
You sold your DVD of the "Moonlighting" pilot? Yikes. It's out of print and worth a fair amount, and I haven't seen anything saying that the pilot will be included with the upcoming season sets. They often aren't. And even if it is included, I'll bet it won't have the Bruce Willis/Glenn Gordon Caron commentary.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I used to trim my collection constantly. I would buy a ton of movies, sight-unseen, and then sell off the ones I didn't like a week later, so it would be a constant practice. I still buy sight-unseen most of the time, but even when I hate a movie, I'm way too lazy to sell it off anymore. It takes a hell of a long time to list it on Ebay, plus pay the ridiculous prices that Ebay charges one to put their items up for sale. Not to mention having to buy all kinds of padded envelopes and having to go to the post office almost daily to mail them out. It's way too much hassle. If I hate a movie, I just keep it. I know that I won't ever upgrade it to HD-DVD though, because buying it once on regular DVD, was more than enough.

On the downside though, I've now got hundreds upon hundreds of movies that I hate to death, and am just too lazy to get rid of. Of my my 1,500+ DVD collection, I wish I could get rid of about 200.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Since I don't go to the theater anymore, pretty much all new releases are blind buys. But I can usally tell ahead of time if I am going to like a movie. I also listen to what other people on the forum say about a movie that I am on the fence about. This is helped me decide on a few titles.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
once i was able to put together a highly satisfying HT, the thing that i most came to enjoy was discovering good films i'd never seen before.
i put all this money into my gear for the express purpose of watching films i have always loved in the best possible way, but i find that usually the most fun i have is from the discovery of new gems.
the only problem is that entails a lot of blind purchasing and the inevitable outcome of that is being left with a sizable % of things i don't need to see again.

i used to ebay regularly in batches twice a year- April/May
and then again in Nov.
but like a previous poster said, its getting to be a real drag.
i'm kind of in a fix though, as i have a finite amount of space i can comfortably store these things, and as every month goes by and more "must haves" are released, i have to go in and make some hard choices about what to take out.
if i didn't have storage issues, i would only prune out about 20-30 titles this year.
but because of everything that has already been announced combined with what i expect to be coming, i'm going to have to take out about twice that number....at very least.

i already have about 60 movies boxed up and ready to list and tonight i may go thru and try to weed out another couple dozen.

bacause ebay is a drag, and i'm stuck for space, i started using Netflix again and thats helped me save a lot of time, money, and aggrevation.
i only join for a month and then quit. let a few months go by and then join again for a month, etc.
but it seems to work out well- espeically in scratching the itch for a lot of blind impulse purchases.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The commentary on the Moonlighting pilot DVD was a rip-off anyway. They talked for the first 15 minutes, then disappeared, and reappeared at the end to say goodbye.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I did a nice purge last summer (Consisting of Shrek 2-disc, Forrest Gump, Blazing Saddles [anticipating SE], North By Northwest [got Warner's Hitchcock 10-disc set], Casablanca [anticipating SE], Gone with the Wind [anticipating SE], Pinocchio [anticipating SE], The Usual Suspects: SE [one viewing only], 2001: A Space Odyssey [MGM's old is ugly], and the original Weird Al music video DVD [anticipating SE]).

In fact, I was able to buy a nice percentage of my 2004 purchases using profit from the sold DVD's.

I never ended up selling Planet of the Apes (remake), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (SE), Cast Away, and A Beautiful Mind (2-disc LBX), though. Now that I have the MST3K: Essentials 3-disc set, I don't need my original Manos: The Hands of Fate DVD.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Yep, I just sold about 15 and I've got about 30 that are about to go as well.

Most of the movies are good, but I just don't plan on rewatching them anytime.

I've probably sold 75 - 100 since I started collecting and I have about 200 right now.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I've done some trims in the past. Some titles were replaced with upgrades, although I have a pair of OOP Criterions (Silence of the Lambs/Spinal Tap) sitting next to their MGM re-issued counterparts on the shelf.

Others fall exclusively into the "What-the-hell-was-I-smoking" category. These stem from my earlier days in the hobby, when I was still transfixed with the wonders of digital multi-channel sound at home. In short, I bought stuff that made my floorboards rumble.

And the rest of my trims were various oddities that weren't necessarily awful, but not truly collection worthy either.

My collection is hovering around the 630 mark, and I began to get scared that quite a bit of it was going to waste, so the basic rule became to leave anything that I would want to revisit, and slash the rest.

MattHR

Screenwriter
My collection of over 1500 is always evolving. I tend to think of them in the following categories:

1) Permanent favorites. These are must-haves and will likely double-dip if better versions are released.
2) Keepers. Enjoy, but would not upgrade.
3) Unopened and yet-to-be-viewed. Most will end up in #1 or #2. I'm learning to control my impulse purchases, so these don't end up in #5 or #6.
4) Ebay fodder. Titles I can live without that have decent resale value.
5) "What was I thinking?". Most were impulse buys. Several are still unopened waiting for someone to show some interest when they browse through the collection.
6) "Go ahead and borrow it--no need to return it". Titles with little or no resale value. Many have already been double-dipped.

Overall, I'm happy with my collection. Though I do feel I have way too many for practical purposes.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well around here BB seems to be pretty good at trade ins so I'm heading there today they also seemed to have a few titles I want anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks