What's new

Collection of just Drive-in intermission ads on DVD!! (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
check this website out, they are selling DVD's of nothing but old drive-in ads and intermission clips.

http://www.drive-infilm.com/2000/dvd_video.htm

supposedly, they have been all restored, and have amazing image quality

I ordered Volume 3 since they are almost sold out for good.

anybody else interested in these sort of things?

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
That's cool. I have a DVD with a bunch of old TV commercials, got it for like 5 bucks. It's just cool to watch these sorts of things-plus they're pretty cheap to boot.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It's just cool to watch these sorts of things-plus they're pretty cheap to boot
But these Drive-In Film DVDs are $30 for 50-60 minutes of programming--and they're DVD-Rs. This is a major niche, for sure, but that's fairly daunting. I'm wondering how DVD-Rs could be so limited in quantity. Then again, perhaps the company's rights to issue this stuff is tied to those limited numbers.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
This title was especially intriguing... :)

JUST CLOCKS!
For the HOME THEATRE Experience, here is a new DVD for you. It contains complete 10 minute and 5 minute Intermission clocks just as they were seen in Drive-ins across the country in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Just pop in the DVD, select the clock you want from the chapter, and away it goes.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well,
I will receive my Vol3 DVD on Saturday afternoon, so I will let everyone know what the quality is like.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I love the concept, heck I love Elite's Drive in Discs Vol. 1 & 2 for this reason, but I have to agree that $30 bucks is rather high for less than 70 min. worth of content.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The next Drive-In Disc will be out sometime in August (one movie is I Bury The Living, I forget the other) with a list price of $19.99 instead of $29.99. They'll also have a set of all 3 discs together.
Do the driveinfilm.com discs have any added onscreen crap? I know there's one guy out there putting out DVD-R's of drive-in trailers but he puts his logo on the screen through all of them! Most of the discs from Something Weird seem to do this too (they put the letters SWV on the screen looking like it was generated with an Atari 2600), though I have two of their double-feature discs (Defilers and Just For The Hell Of It) that don't have any on-screen junk.
I have a few interesting intermission-type trailers on 35mm that I got when I was a projectionist; I wish there was an easy way to put those onto DVD, as I don't even have access to a projector anymore to watch them :frowning:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Does the Elite Drive-in DVD's differ with Drive-in intermissions? or is it generally the same ads?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Mostly they are the same ads but they do use different cartoons, HERE IS A REVIEW that covers all the info you might be looking for...but bare in mind that it isn't a very positive review. Me personally I like both disks.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
My Drive-in DVD came today( a day early) and I watched it on my portable dvd player at work.

The picture quality is really good.
These are the best they will ever look.

the dvd is chaptered, and is edited together nicely.
nice even flow of countdown clocks, intermission cartoons and ads and movie trailers.

this volume 3 came with a nice 35mm film strip of an intermission ad.

there were also 3 bonus drive-in ads.
One of which is an interesting 007 home movie, behind the scenes of an old James Bond movie

I would really suggest getting Volume 3 first, since its almost sold out for good.

This is one DVD, that I will get alot of enjoyment out of.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Both of the Elite discs have the Let's All Go To The Lobby trailer. The first one also has the complete 10-minute animated intermission trailer with the dancing hot dog, as seen in "Grease".
Again, BEWARE of Something Weird Video. Get the ones with Just For The Hell Of It/Blast-off Girls and The Defilers/Scum of the Earth, but avoid the others!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of Elite's Drive-In Discs. I emailed them about a year or so ago to see if they'd be having a different intermission cartoon on the next disc, and they said they were looking into the possibility. AFAIK, they still plan on releasing 15 volumes of the Drive-In Discs collection.

The latest collection from Drive-In Films looks to have the intermission that I've been looking for, so I'll hopefully be ordering that soon.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I e-mailed Drive-in Films and asked when Volume 5 will be released, and they said sometime in the fall.

They also siad that they are constantly restoring intermission films.

I also asked them about a certain drive-in intermission ad
the one with the family of penguins stranded in the hot desert, and then someone come along and gives them different Coke products.

Drive-in Films says they have one version of that very one, and that it will likely end up on a future volume.

ALSO,
why should we stay away from certain Something Weird DVD's??
Generally, I just want the drive-in ads and extras.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Many of the Something Weird DVDs have the letters "SWV" superimposed on the screen during all the trailers and shorts, though the actual movies are left alone and look great in many cases. I don't watch anything on TV with onscreen logos, so I certainly won't tolerate it on anything I buy!
If Elite is putting out 15 volumes, I sure hope it doesn't take them 15 years to do it!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Jesse, I once asked the folks at Something Weird about the on-screen SWV logos. They said it was on the original source material and that there was nothing they could do (without tremendous expense, and then not in all cases) to remove it. However, they said they always ensure that the few movies and many extras that have the logo are included only as supplemental material, never the main feature(s).

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I sure hope it doesn't take them 15 years to do it!
Volume 1 & 2 were released within a few months of one another, IIRC. I never could find out why there was such a delay between 2 and 3. The last time I checked their webpage, they hadn't updated to mention 3 yet.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
I once asked the folks at Something Weird about the on-screen SWV logos. They said it was on the original source material and that there was nothing they could do (without tremendous expense, and then not in all cases) to remove it.
The logos had to be added by SWV somewhere along the way. Does this mean they never kept a clean copy? That's kinda "weird."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks