What's new

Collectible DVDs (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
*The original version of this thread was aparently mis-interpreted as a poll. Sorry for the confusion. This isn't a poll. Thank you.*

Which DVDs are considered to be "collectible"? Why, or what makes them collectible? Which ones do you own, and would you have bought all of them if they weren't collectible?

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know of any "collectors edition" that is actually rare or hard to find. There are some numbered ones out there, I think Hannibal or one of those movies came out with numbered edition, but overall I don't think we've got any yet. I know I don't consider any of my DVDs in the same category as my Nolan Ryan rookie baseball card yet.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Well for starters the entire Criterion Collection. Some say also the Superbits but i dissagree. Perhaps the Vista Series. Pretty much anything that's custom made and limited.

Personally i don't particullary fancy all limited editions, collector's editions and Ultimate editions, because it's often a way to boost up the price by saying it's a special limited edition. But on the other hand if it really is worth the money and contains a great deal of extras, bonus materials and several discs, then naturally they are entitled to call it a special limited edition or something. I myself don't like the custom made boxes so much because they never fit perfectly into your shell with the rest of your movies. Naturally they look better than usuall keep cases or snap cases, or at least mostly.

I on the other hand buy the DVD's i wanna own and if there happens to be several diffrent editions on the market i simply choose one the suits me more and it's almost every time the more expensive and also better SE, UL, CE or whatever.

The new Highlander Immortal edition is a poor collectors editon IMO. Also i wasn't too happy about Meet Joe Black Ultimate edition.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Value is selective, Go to ebay and try to purchase a OOP DVD title and most of the time they sell for over the top prices. It seems that any desired OOP DVD title is collectible...until it's reissued.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Which ones do you own, and would you have bought all of them if they weren't collectible?
I own a great deal of the "collectible titles" with the exception of DVDs like the unaltered "I Know What You Did Last Summer" release. Of all the OOP titles I own, the only one that I would not normally have purchased is "Salo." Although I sold some of my Criterion titles to purchase a new HDTV, I kept "Salo" simply for the purposes of not having to repurchase the title at the now obscene values it goes for. The "limited titles" I'm enjoying the most however are probably the one's I got when I purchased an LD player, because the Studios either butchered the DVD(Happy Gilmore WS DTS) or have refused to release the title on DVD.(Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Song of the South, All non-released Disney "Platinum" titles, Casper, E.T., Jackie Brown, and so on.

Honestly, if the text across the top says "Limited" don't believe what you read unless you see a serial number on the back. If you got into DVD early enough there was some money to be had in purchasing a few extra discontinued titles for sale at a later date. At this point, unless a licensing issue occurs this really won't happen too often. Titles are generally available in other region zones even if they are discontinued in the US and titles are being released in a greater volume.

Key: OOP=Out of Print

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I generally purchase only the titles I really want, too, and because I want to see the movie, not because I like the box or whatever. But in a few cases, there has been a movie that had it been in a normal box, I probably wouldn't have gotten, but in the special box, I did. For example, Basic Instinct, in the clear-blue plastic ice box with the ice pick pen. On it's own, I probably wouldn't have bought that movie, or at least there were a bunch of others I would have got first (on my limited budget). But I got it, and I realize I got it as much for the box as for the movie itself. Now that said, if I truly did not want the movie at all, no amount of fancy packaging would entice me to buy it; I have to have at least some interest in the movie itself. So what I'm saying is that sometimes, collectible packaging can alter the order of how I might have otherwise bought my DVDs.

The DVDs with special packaging that I own are Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Terminator 2 (metal sleeve), Lawrence of Arabia, and 2001 (the version with the film cell). I own a few Vistas and Criterions, too. But no Superbits; I'm more interested in the special features that are lacking on Superbits versions. Since I don't have a big screen, that's safe for me...for now, at least.

I don't own anything, that I know of, at least, that's truly collectible, or OOP. Well, the metal-sleeve T2 UE isn't really made anymore, since they changed to the cardboard metal-colored sleeve. But I found two more in a store here recently and offered to sell them here for $30 (cost plus S&H, and that would probably leave a few bucks for me), and didn't get a single reply, so I guess they're not really that collectible yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks