Collectible DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Apr 12, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

*The original version of this thread was aparently mis-interpreted as a poll. Sorry for the confusion. This isn't a poll. Thank you.*

Which DVDs are considered to be "collectible"? Why, or what makes them collectible? Which ones do you own, and would you have bought all of them if they weren't collectible?

2. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I don't know of any "collectors edition" that is actually rare or hard to find. There are some numbered ones out there, I think Hannibal or one of those movies came out with numbered edition, but overall I don't think we've got any yet. I know I don't consider any of my DVDs in the same category as my Nolan Ryan rookie baseball card yet.

3. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

Well for starters the entire Criterion Collection. Some say also the Superbits but i dissagree. Perhaps the Vista Series. Pretty much anything that's custom made and limited.

Personally i don't particullary fancy all limited editions, collector's editions and Ultimate editions, because it's often a way to boost up the price by saying it's a special limited edition. But on the other hand if it really is worth the money and contains a great deal of extras, bonus materials and several discs, then naturally they are entitled to call it a special limited edition or something. I myself don't like the custom made boxes so much because they never fit perfectly into your shell with the rest of your movies. Naturally they look better than usuall keep cases or snap cases, or at least mostly.

I on the other hand buy the DVD's i wanna own and if there happens to be several diffrent editions on the market i simply choose one the suits me more and it's almost every time the more expensive and also better SE, UL, CE or whatever.

The new Highlander Immortal edition is a poor collectors editon IMO. Also i wasn't too happy about Meet Joe Black Ultimate edition.

4. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Value is selective, Go to ebay and try to purchase a OOP DVD title and most of the time they sell for over the top prices. It seems that any desired OOP DVD title is collectible...until it's reissued.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

6. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I generally purchase only the titles I really want, too, and because I want to see the movie, not because I like the box or whatever. But in a few cases, there has been a movie that had it been in a normal box, I probably wouldn't have gotten, but in the special box, I did. For example, Basic Instinct, in the clear-blue plastic ice box with the ice pick pen. On it's own, I probably wouldn't have bought that movie, or at least there were a bunch of others I would have got first (on my limited budget). But I got it, and I realize I got it as much for the box as for the movie itself. Now that said, if I truly did not want the movie at all, no amount of fancy packaging would entice me to buy it; I have to have at least some interest in the movie itself. So what I'm saying is that sometimes, collectible packaging can alter the order of how I might have otherwise bought my DVDs.

The DVDs with special packaging that I own are Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Terminator 2 (metal sleeve), Lawrence of Arabia, and 2001 (the version with the film cell). I own a few Vistas and Criterions, too. But no Superbits; I'm more interested in the special features that are lacking on Superbits versions. Since I don't have a big screen, that's safe for me...for now, at least.

I don't own anything, that I know of, at least, that's truly collectible, or OOP. Well, the metal-sleeve T2 UE isn't really made anymore, since they changed to the cardboard metal-colored sleeve. But I found two more in a store here recently and offered to sell them here for $30 (cost plus S&H, and that would probably leave a few bucks for me), and didn't get a single reply, so I guess they're not really that collectible yet.