What's new

Collateral (1 Viewer)

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Michael Mann is a badass. I really which he was making movies more frequently... but perhaps his taking so long is the reason his movies are so good.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Michael Mann rocks the house. This is going to be bloody incredible. My most anticipated summer release.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This does look promising.

For those that claim Van Helsing is a fun summer action flick, I hope they check this one out as well. It is possible to have some style, story, and well-developed characters in an action movie.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Awesome Trailer!

This is my most acticipated movie of the summer after The Terminal with Spielberg and Hanks (after all, the last time those two teamed up in the summer, it produced my #1 movie of 1998 and #3 of all time).

Hanks and Spielberg vs. Cruise and Mann. That would be an interesting Celebrity Deathmatch! And I don't even watch that damn show.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I did too. The movies aren't on the same level at all. VH is a Saturday afternoon, embrace-your-inner-9-year-old, throw popcorn at the screen, enjoy the ride and have a good time flick (though, obviously, Zachary and I were among the few who viewed it that way), whereas Collateral should be an intelligent, serious action film. I can enjoy both for completely different reasons, and have a good time at both in completely different ways.

I don't like Tom Cruise, but I love Michael Mann, so I'm really looking forward to this.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I love Manns films and have nothing against Cruise as I think hes done some great stuff in the past decade.

Really hope this one doesnt disappoint.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
So, will the final climactic scene in the movie be a soundtrack-driven scene? ;)

All joking aside, this is one film I'll be seeing; Mann is "da man!" :emoji_thumbsup:

8^B

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Mann is one of my favorite director's, and I love most of his films. Heat is among one of favorite films, and I think both The Insider and ALi are severely underrated. He brings a masterful visual style to his films (using frequent cineamtographer Dange Spinotti, Mann's films have a stunning look to them, but he'll be using Dion Beebe for this film)

I recall readign that Adam Sandler was to be casted in Foxx's role, and Val Kilmer, before going over the the Alexander the Great project, was attached in Cruise's role. The title was even suppose to be changes, to not be confused with Arnolds Collateral Damage.

All thigns considered, I think this will be this years more talked about fims. Cant wait til August 6th.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Was this movie shot on Digital Video? Personally I do not like the looks of it, but the premise sounds cool. Perhaps this sounds bad but I'm hoping this movie will be a will get a hard R rating.
THanks

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yea, from the looks of several scenes in the trailer, they have that digital video look to them. Personally, it does not make a difference to me its all about the movie that counts.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
According to IMDB:
Camera
Panavision Cameras and Lenses
Sony HDW-F900 CineAlta
Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera, Zeiss Digiprime Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
Video (HDTV)

Cinematographic process
HDTV (1080p/24)

Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I think the overtly digital look to several scenes in the trailer is intentional on Mann's part. He's always used different looks within films and I imagine that the digital video look will lend a documentary style feel to parts of the film.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this trailer projected in a theater, and the quality looks TERRIBLE. Why do directors shoot on HD? It just doesn't look as good as film. You can't tell me that if Michael Mann could get Tom Cruise, he couldn't afford to shoot it on 35mm.

It's frustrating when there isn't enough attention paid to the image. The frustrating part is that it looks like a really cool movie, I just wish they had used the proper format for making a feature film. I mean, come on, they shot White Chicks in 35mm!

It bothers me that I'll be paying the regular $14 admission for this movie, yet the quality is much lower!

Bob

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this trailer projected in a theater, and the quality looks TERRIBLE. Why do directors shoot on HD? It just doesn't look as good as film. You can't tell me that if Michael Mann could get Tom Cruise, he couldn't afford to shoot it on 35mm.

It's frustrating when there isn't enough attention paid to the image. The frustrating part is that it looks like a really cool movie, I just wish they had used the proper format for making a feature film. I mean, come on, they shot White Chicks in 35mm!

It bothers me that I'll be paying the regular $14 admission for this movie, yet the quality is much lower!

Bob

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I don't think you can say there is a Michael Mann film without enough attention paid to the image. I'm sure the look in Collateral is completely intentional on Mann's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks