Collateral

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ThomasC, May 7, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

Michael Mann is a badass. I really which he was making movies more frequently... but perhaps his taking so long is the reason his movies are so good.

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Oh, yeah. The Mann is back. This looks really good. And I usually loathe Tom Cruise!

4. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Michael Mann rocks the house. This is going to be bloody incredible. My most anticipated summer release.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

This does look promising.

For those that claim Van Helsing is a fun summer action flick, I hope they check this one out as well. It is possible to have some style, story, and well-developed characters in an action movie.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Great trailer. I can't wait to check this out.

7. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Awesome Trailer!

This is my most acticipated movie of the summer after The Terminal with Spielberg and Hanks (after all, the last time those two teamed up in the summer, it produced my #1 movie of 1998 and #3 of all time).

Hanks and Spielberg vs. Cruise and Mann. That would be an interesting Celebrity Deathmatch! And I don't even watch that damn show.

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Yeah, I did too. The movies aren't on the same level at all. VH is a Saturday afternoon, embrace-your-inner-9-year-old, throw popcorn at the screen, enjoy the ride and have a good time flick (though, obviously, Zachary and I were among the few who viewed it that way), whereas Collateral should be an intelligent, serious action film. I can enjoy both for completely different reasons, and have a good time at both in completely different ways.

I don't like Tom Cruise, but I love Michael Mann, so I'm really looking forward to this.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I love Manns films and have nothing against Cruise as I think hes done some great stuff in the past decade.

Really hope this one doesnt disappoint.

10. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

So, will the final climactic scene in the movie be a soundtrack-driven scene? [​IMG]

All joking aside, this is one film I'll be seeing; Mann is "da man!" [​IMG]

8^B

11. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Mann is one of my favorite director's, and I love most of his films. Heat is among one of favorite films, and I think both The Insider and ALi are severely underrated. He brings a masterful visual style to his films (using frequent cineamtographer Dange Spinotti, Mann's films have a stunning look to them, but he'll be using Dion Beebe for this film)

I recall readign that Adam Sandler was to be casted in Foxx's role, and Val Kilmer, before going over the the Alexander the Great project, was attached in Cruise's role. The title was even suppose to be changes, to not be confused with Arnolds Collateral Damage.

All thigns considered, I think this will be this years more talked about fims. Cant wait til August 6th.

12. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Was this movie shot on Digital Video? Personally I do not like the looks of it, but the premise sounds cool. Perhaps this sounds bad but I'm hoping this movie will be a will get a hard R rating.
    THanks

13. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Yea, from the looks of several scenes in the trailer, they have that digital video look to them. Personally, it does not make a difference to me its all about the movie that counts.

14. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

According to IMDB:
    Camera
    Panavision Cameras and Lenses
    Sony HDW-F900 CineAlta
    Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera, Zeiss Digiprime Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
    Video (HDTV)

Cinematographic process
    HDTV (1080p/24)

Aspect ratio
    2.35 : 1

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I always thought this would've been an R movie anyways.

16. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I think the overtly digital look to several scenes in the trailer is intentional on Mann's part. He's always used different looks within films and I imagine that the digital video look will lend a documentary style feel to parts of the film.

17. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I just saw this trailer projected in a theater, and the quality looks TERRIBLE. Why do directors shoot on HD? It just doesn't look as good as film. You can't tell me that if Michael Mann could get Tom Cruise, he couldn't afford to shoot it on 35mm.

It's frustrating when there isn't enough attention paid to the image. The frustrating part is that it looks like a really cool movie, I just wish they had used the proper format for making a feature film. I mean, come on, they shot White Chicks in 35mm!

It bothers me that I'll be paying the regular $14 admission for this movie, yet the quality is much lower!

Bob

18. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I just saw this trailer projected in a theater, and the quality looks TERRIBLE. Why do directors shoot on HD? It just doesn't look as good as film. You can't tell me that if Michael Mann could get Tom Cruise, he couldn't afford to shoot it on 35mm.

It's frustrating when there isn't enough attention paid to the image. The frustrating part is that it looks like a really cool movie, I just wish they had used the proper format for making a feature film. I mean, come on, they shot White Chicks in 35mm!

It bothers me that I'll be paying the regular $14 admission for this movie, yet the quality is much lower!

Bob

19. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I don't think you can say there is a Michael Mann film without enough attention paid to the image. I'm sure the look in Collateral is completely intentional on Mann's part.