What's new

Collateral - full specs (incl. extras) (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Just watched Collateral, and I've gotta say, the DVD is great. The video is sharp and smooth, with plenty of detail. Having originated from hi-def digital video, I can't imagine this disc looking much better than it does here. And the DTS soundtrack is terrific.

Haven't checked out the extras, yet, but with two discs and a commentary, I'm not going to be complaining.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The commentary is with director Michael Mann.

They just announced the Golden Globe nominations, and it looks like Jamie Foxx received a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for "Collateral", along with nominations for his performance in "Ray" and the T.V. movie "Redemption"

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I saw the display for this film as well as I, Robot and several other titles that were put out aafter midnight when I went to get LOTR: ROTK. I put off on Collateral and I, Robot since I asked for them for Christmas.

I took a look at the Collateral case and read the back, and couldnt help but be pleased by the disclaimer in the box about the transfer info, which said something like "presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.40:1. No full screen option is available.

Priceless.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Me neither

Josh, I just that noticed on my copy and unless I'm mistaken I think I started to weep tears of joy.:D
:emoji_thumbsup: for Michael Mann

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
Also there are trailers on Disc 2 but not for Collateral. I mean there are trailers on Heat, The Insider, Ali, Manhunter, Thief, etc. Why is this the grand exception? I admit one of the few had one too many spoilers, but the original trailer was solid and used the music from the film. What is it with films that use the music in the film for the trailer and have it on so many other DVDs but can't be on the title itself (The Core, Paycheck, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, So On and So Forth)

Does anyone understand the logic of having making of easter eggs but not one bloody trailer to the film itself?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The lack of a Collateral trailer could possibly be due in part to the rights of the music used in it, courtesy of Alice in Chains and several other artists.

This is a problem with many trailers for films that are absent from DVDs, mostly due to copyrights and such.

Most of the songs from the theatrical trailer are actually used in the film and are on the soundtrack.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
You would think that by now they would have a license for music that is just a blanket "for use as part this work, whereever we decide to put it" or have a compulsorary licensing scheme for use of music in movies as they do for its use elsewhere.

I think some aspects like this about copyright law are just laughable. I always roll my eyes everytime I hear that the reason they can't use music or rerelease a mivie containing it is because they can't figure out who owns the rights. You would think that after a grace period they should require your work to be registered, especially if not doing so is going to cripple the ability for someone else to continue to profit from their own work.

Granted, there are many bigger problems in the world, but still.

By the way, seeing the "Full screen not available" on the Collateral packeage was great. I love Mann's attitude that if your not going to watch the movie he made, you have no business watching it.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I picked this up at Walmart for an excellent price. I was really surprised and happy to see the announcement about not being available in full screen too. The transfer was gorgeous on my system and the sound was excellent too. Great movie and a great DVD presentation.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I didn't get a screener so I doubt there's going to be a review. Dreamworks didn't send one for SHREK 2 and THE TERMINAL didn't show up until the release date and it was for the single disc version only.

I apologize for those waiting on one but the studios are getting a bit tight due to the piracy issues and it didn't help when one of these got out early with screenshots from the disc when they weren't supposed to be out.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
What a dreadful little film. I occasionally don't mind Michael Mann, but this script is so poor that I just couldn't get beyond it. All the existentially pompous conversations in the cab gave me a headache. The transfer, however, is fantastic, so if you're a fan of the film you'll be happy. The extras are okay - if you like to hear directors go on and on about themselves pretentiously. When Mann started talking about how he created this entire backstory for Cruise's character, complete with photos of the house where he was born, I just wanted to throw up. None of this, of course, helps Cruise's performance or the film one bit, but it makes for good video, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks