What's new

Colgate Comedy Hour 10 DVD Box Set Review? (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'd probably get it to see what Fred Allen does in the shows he hosted.

By the way, low-budget film comedian Sammy Petrillo was once referred to as a "Poor man's Jerry Lewis". That seems appropriate being that he appeared in one of the early episodes in 1950...although I'm not sure if Martin & Lewis hosted that one or not.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Now I'm confused, as usual. I thought this was all of the 28 shows hosted by Martin and Lewis, and none of the shows with other hosts.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

That's my understanding, as well.

I would guess the set would be interesting if you haven't seen the material before, but since this isn't officially licensed product, caveat emptor would seem to be the order of the day...!

-Kevin

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
From Passport's page -

Here on 10 DVDs is all the funny stuff from all 28 shows hosted by Martin & Lewis at their spontaneous best, unencumbered by plot-heavy scripts, rigid film schedules, or elaborate production numbers

"all the funny stuff" - seems to me that this implies they cut some or all the musical numbers - plus the runing time is listed aprox. 20 hours. Still,a few of these haven't ever been released on DVD or VHS.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Boy, is that ambiguous!

But I think they're referring to their Paramount movies. I just have a feeling these are the entire Colgate shows, even with the so-called "production numbers," which certainly weren't elaborate.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't want to see all Martin & Lewis Colgate TV shows, particularly after hearing so many of their 1/2 hour radio show episodes from the late 1940s and early 1950s (which exist in 2 totally different formats with Dean & Jerry playing themselves: sitcom and variety). Public domain obviously, but don't expect a major release to be any better given the source material of live shows.

Charles H

Screenwriter
It's a terrific set--if only from an anthropological point of view. The commercials alone are worth the price of admission: Colgate prevents "non-pleasing" breath and enables women to catch eligible men; animated leprechauns will scour your kitchen and bathtub; Gene Barry sings a song about shampoo. Most important there is a "live" studio audience and Martin& Lewis are not above interacting with them. It will be your only opportunity to see Burt Lancaster reprise his alcoholic "Doc" from COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA with Jerry Lewis. Martin and Lewis were--for their brief decade together HUGE. It's no coincidence that Hal Wallis recognized their box office value, as he did Elvis!

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

I have no idea what they cut out of the missing 25 minutes per episode?

ANYONE know what's missing?

also, as I stated earlier the total time listed on the box set is 1200 minutes.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks