What's new

Coldplay - "X&Y" (1 Viewer)

RichardK

Second Unit
Andrew - Their VH1 performance last night was great and Live, would love to hear them Unplugged even.

The Coldplay Website has their discography etc and also an area where you can sample tracks..I think the track sampling is available without joining the site, if you don't want to do that.

What got me hooked was the Coldplay Live 2003 CD. It also contains a DVD of a concert of theirs. Dont miss out on the Blue Room EP or the Brother & Sisters CD either. These guys are the real deal. Although they have songs that are Top 40 "mainstream". Songs like 'Only Superstition' and 'Such a Rush' keep me coming back. The new album X&Y is sounding great to me as well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
andrew, check out 'a rush of blood to the head' first ... that album is truly a standout. :emoji_thumbsup:

GordonL

Supporting Actor
MTV's been broadcasting "Coldplay Live Leak" this week where they play a few tracks from X&Y.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

They have four full-length releases if you count "Live 2003", a DVD/CD combo. It's 12 tracks so it's not as if the CD was just some afterthought.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Bill,

What I meant to say was full-length studio albums. I assume Live 2003 contains songs from the previous releases.

Best Buy actually had all 3 on sales for 9.99 which was pretty cool. They were almost sold out of them all.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

I always like to listen an artist's work chronologically. Start with Parachutes. The first time I heard Yellow they had me completely hooked. Enjoy. :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I'd start with Rush of Blood to the Head. Its their best effort to date. If people always started with first albums to base judgment on how good a band is and not by their best efforts, then most people would never have listened to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". And Im not saying that Parachutes is a bad album, its just not their flagship album to showcase what they are capable of as an artist.

I like this new album, but, its a bit slow and sometimes feels forced, and repetitive. However I love the song "Talk" the best. "Square One" is also a good one. But overall, I feel this album was.....non-inspired. Not a lot of passion in this one compared to Rush of Blood. It's almost as if either A.) the hunger is gone, or B.) the pressure of failure got to them and they did what the suits wanted them to do instead of being true to themselves creatively.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll shamelessly admit I jumped on the bandwagon late and got all three studio albums within a couple of weeks of each other, so there isn't the "Fan of Old Coldplay Who is Disenchanted with their New Stuff" thing going on with me. It's all new to me!

I'd definitely agree with Rush of Blood being their best album, by far, with Parachutes second, and X&Y 3rd. Not that X&Y is bad, but I think Rush of Blood has by far their best work as a band. After listening to all 3 several times, Rush of Blood is the one that is getting heavy rotation on my CD player.

RichardK

Second Unit
Okay, I have had this album for 2 weeks now and I have listened to it over 6 or 7 times all the way through, all the while mixing it in on my IPOD with Parachutes and ROBTTH...
X&Y is a GREAT album, it stands right next to the greatness of it predecessors...I enjoy every second of every song from Square One to Kingdom Come and back again... Cant wait til Sept 23rd Coldplay Live in Dallas! Cheers!

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The more I hear X & Y, the more I think it's almost a companion album to A Rush of Blood to the Head, they could've been put together I think.
Fix You is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i've listened to this album quite a bit. the more i listen, the more i like. personally, i love 'twisted logic' ... that song is great!

i put this on par with the rest of their stuff ... great band!

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've listened to it quite a bit myself. The song Talk makes me think of my aunt and dad, and it kind of hit me the hard the first time I heard it. I guess that's crazy to say, I don't know.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Meant to report back sooner. Listened to all 3, and I have to say I like X&Y the best by a wide margin. I thought it had more dynamic range than the others. Rush is really well done, but I thought the mood was a bit too "samey" through all the songs. I think I was expecting a little more edge too overall.

The singer really reminds me of Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key). Not to say one is derivative of the other. In fact I would encourage Coldplay fans to check out Chroma Key Dead Air For Radios and You Go Now. Stay away from Graveyard Mountain Home, it's mostly atmospheric experimental film score music.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ps all ... it turns out i can't make the san francisco show. :angry: i have two lawn seats ... if anyone's interested lemme know.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

This is my feeling about X&Y. I just find the album rather bland and uninspired as a whole, although it does have its moments...

SarahG

Second Unit
I've been listening to this album a lot since I got it. I like pretty much every song and I can't seem to take the cc out of my player.

RichardK

Second Unit
Well i'm back for a quickie update.
I saw Coldplay in Dallas this past Friday night.
:b :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Great friggin' show...even from the lawn seats!
I compiled a set list, although I feel like I'm missing one, maybe two? If anyone wants/has details, post back here and i'll try and answer...
ps. Rilo Kiley ? opened for them...

Twisted Logic tour, so it was very X&Y'ish, but they didnt play Twisted Logic. Not in order except for #1.

1.Square One – X&Y
2.Trouble
3.Don’t Panic
4.Yellow
5.Swallowed in the sea – X&Y
6.Politik
7.Clocks
8.Fix You – X&Y
9.Til Kingdome Come – X&Y
10.Ring of Fire – Johnny cash tribute
11.Low – X&Y
12.Speed of Sound – X&Y
13.Talk – X&Y
14.White Shadows – X&Y
15.In My Place
16.The Scientist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks