1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, if he has damaged his career that's very sad. Neeson is Irish and believe it or not they are very, very honest about what they feel. Top that with he is an actor, a person that is required through his work to be very open and exposed with his emotions.

He told a story about how he felt 40 years ago after a friend was brutally attacked. He was honest, exposed his feelings and thoughts from the incident and never hurt anyone. He thought about hurting people...which seems a normal human emotion when somebody does great harm to a person you love.

So, we now have "thought police"...think the wrong thoughts and you will be punished. Neeson must be destroyed for this?

What about all the rest of his life he has lived? That's all meaningless because he thought some angry thoughts for a few days after somebody hurt someone he deeply cared about?

Craig S and bujaki like this.
  2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I'm not saying or supporting that he should be pilloried for something that happened so long ago. I am just saying that in the present social media climate, where people are being censured, forced to resign or fired over incidents that happened 20+ years ago, he should have been more circumspect in how he chose to describe that incident. Peoples' careers are being cremated over incidents that they probably don't even remember committing and, most likely, actually regret and feel embarrassed over when they are revived and spread over the internet and social media sites. However, unfortunately, the present mob mentality on social media and other venues means people, especially famous people, to be very careful about how they choose their words or see themselves displayed. I think it is insane, but public figures in these times have to approach how they behave as if they are walking on thin ice and could fall through at any time.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have to agree with you. As an African-American, I'm not going to hold it against him for trying to be honest about what kind of person he was back when he was a younger man. I'll be seeing this film either this weekend or next week. This world has become less forgiving of one's faults even if they are faults from a prior time in one's life and have repented from such behavior.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I can't speak for Neeson but I think that's what he was going for- an honest discussion of thoughts that he has had as a way to show that people can have horrible thoughts but they can also change for the better. Now why he would think that was a good idea, I don't know.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  5. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    Saw Cold Pursuit pursuit today. Going in, I expected your standard cookie-cutter Liam Neeson revenge thriller. It was that, but it also had an odd quirkiness to it. There was a dash of Coen Brothers morbid humor and a pinch of Tarentinoish stylized violence.

Some may say it tries a bit hard to gain some arty-cred, and I admit the film is completely affectless - i couldn't care less whether Neeson or anyone else lived or died. And yet ... I was entertained anyway.

B ..... 701/1000

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It'll be interesting to see whether the controversy helps or hurts the box office. I think there's a chance that without the fracas this one would have flown under the radar with very little notice.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    EW gave it a grade of B+

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yes, what we are at 25 and at 50 and at... well we can change, in particular, a young person can mature. He related his anger as a young man, and did not act on his anger. He expressed his deep regrets. I can empathize. I venture a guess that many of us have incidents from previous times of which we are not proud.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Saw this today and liked it a lot. Like others, I thought this would be another standard issue "Liam Neeson slaughters his way to revenge", and it is that for a while, but then it detours in a complicated way that makes it more memorable.

Good to see that Neeson is self-aware of the path he's taken and he's willing to toy with it...

benbess likes this.
  10. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    As expected, an entertaining revenge movie. "B"

11. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I give it 6/10. I wasn't engaged. I'm also not a big fan of Coen brothers, maybe that explains it.