'Cold Mountain' - any opinions of this disk yet?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_D, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I'm on the fence about picking this one up. I found the film really uneven, but it had some wonderful photography and some memorable performances.

I know it streets on Tuesday, but has anyone received theirs yet? What's the transfer like? Extras?

Any opinions would be great.

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    DaViD Boulet talks a little bit about it in his review for The English Patient. Look at Post #10 in that thread. Doesn't look promising.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
  4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

[​IMG]

Not promising at all. At this stage there's no excuse to deliver a bad transfer of a brand new film. Let's hope its an over-reaction.

5. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

no, it really is SHIT. not as bad as gangs of new york, but it reminds me very much of disneys old letterboxed transfers (the lesser quality ones).

it's shocking that a major studio is releasing DVDs with quality like this. but then, it's disney, so given their quality during the last year or so, maybe it's not that shocking. they used to be pretty good at DVD transfers, what happened ?

6. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

I'll watch it tonight and let you know what I think. Any specific questions you want me to keep in mind when viewing?

7. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

What size display will you be using?
    How bad's the edge enhancement?
    Notice any kind of artifacting?
    What are the extras like?

Thanks Elijah.

8. Elijah Sullivan

Not a very special one by your guy's standards. I'm still using a 27" tube TV with a fairly solid sound system. (My big purchase this summer will be a digital projector setup.) A bad transfer is still painfully obvious, though.

What I can do is give a good assessment of the extras and general value of the disc. If the video/sound quality is less than pretty good then I'll offer words on that, too.

I'm especially looking forward to the commmentary, which includes Walter Murch. I read his book and he's close to a genius at film editing and very entertaining.

9. Jonathan_SJ

Jonathan_SJ Auditioning

This was my favorite film of last year, and I was really looking forward to this disc. It looks like absolute crap. Terribly grainy, lots of edge enhancement, colors pretty dull. The sound is mostly excellent, though, irritatingly, the score seemed mixed a little low. In general, it's an embarrassment, and Miramax should put out a new disc. Never will happen, though. Guess I'll have to wait till HD.

10. Elijah Sullivan

Checked it out last night -- a solid flick. Haven't checked out the second disc yet, but I can tell you that the transfer does have definate issues.

It was grainy and "thin" looking, to me, which was a shame because you could tell there was a beautiful movie underneath all that grain and noise. However, I have to disagree about the color -- it was so vibrant and accurate that I was almost squinting to watch the movie. It was one of the most colorful transfers I remember seeing in a while. Still, it's only about 2/3 as good as I think it could look. To be fair, though, I think that much of the movie was photographed with a flashed negative, which seems to be very difficult to transfer well to DVD (see McCabe and Mrs. Miller).

A re-issue would look spectacular, though -- this movie has the potential for reference quality.

I'll let you know about the features later tonight.

11. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Dammit, that is disappointing. This movie had absolutely wonderful cinematography and I was really excited to see it on my HT. Grain actually doesn't bother me as much as it does some people, but EE does suck. Oh well, luckily, I'm only watching on a 32" 16x9 WEGA, so, while the anomalies will still be apparent, it won't stop me from buying this movie as I loved it in the theaters and thought Renee Zellweger was more than deserving of her Oscar.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I agree with the "nay" sayers. On my smallish 36" Wega it looked grainy and dull.Colors were indeed very good,but I can't remember how blacks looked[this movie didn't had all that many dark scenes],someone can check on this if they inclined.Sound was average to good in many respects through the DTS option.
    Oh yeah I would ride Melora Walters "all the way to China"![​IMG]

13. Elijah Sullivan

The special features are pretty lame. Two documentaries look at the film, but don't have any interesting footage or information in them (most of the time is spent ogling Nicole and Renee and listening to different cast and crew praise each other). The menus are identical to the ones on Disc One, too, which I've never seen before. That's really cheap! No trailers, either -- though the second disc opens with several coming attractions (?!).

Haven't checked out the commentary, yet. Dunno if I will, anymore.

BTW, I remember black levels being pretty rich and solid (like the rest of the colors), though black isn't very common in the palette. The contrast was good, too. The graininess might come from the original print (I also like to see grain -- tells me that the transfer is sharp). But the image is overall very soft and that's where my qualms are. It was indistinct. I'd rather have a sharp image and mediocre colors, personally.

I don't know how much this disc sells for, but it's not worth collector's edition prices, in my mind. Still, if you loved the movie, nothing should stop you. Cheers.

14. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Well this is an absolute disgrace. I was really looking forward to blind buying this title.

doc

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Another disgrace is how they're marketing it with ads trumpeting it as "the Best Picture of the year" based on some critic's blurb, like it actually won the Oscar or something. [​IMG]

There are no depths to which Miramax won't sink.

16. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Was going to blind buy this but now will be renting it for sure.

17. Elijah Sullivan

Forgot to mention -- there are 20 minutes of deleted scenes on the second disc. I watched them all, and with the exception of one, I was totally nonplused. The one interesting scene (no spoilers) would have been Natalie Portman's last in the film, and it's actually rather moving. I would have liked to see it in the final cut, but when you see it you'll understand their obvious reason for cutting it. Otherwise, you don't have any reasons to pop in that second disc at all.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

On the cover is one thing. I'm talking about on a TV commercial with a loud booming voiceover...

Now on DVD, the Best Picture of the Year....

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I think you really undervalue the supplements. The second disc includes some very nice programs: "Climbing Cold Mountain" and the live production are quite good. "Climbing" definitely isn't just praise and whatnot, and it includes a lot of good footage from the set.