Coke In a Glass Bottle!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Is it just me or is coke in a glass bottle back? Our grocery store just got in 8oz glass bollte six packs of Coke...it's like drinking heaven.

Any one else experiencing the new wave? Isn't their a new Courtney Cox commercial that promotes the bottle?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm a Pepsi vendor and Coke carries those 8oz bottles in all of my stores. I wouldn't say that glass bottles are making a comeback, they're more expensive than both cans and plastic bottles so they make up no more than 1% of sales.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I mean, I rarely see the 8oz bottles....just at some drive-thru beer places.

4. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My local stores have carried Coca-Cola in a glass bottle as far back as I can remember, but as much as I love it in a glass bottle [​IMG] my wallet says "aluminum cans" or "plastic two-liter bottles!" [​IMG]

5. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I have one in front of me right now! They are a guilty pleasure for me. Probably psychological, but I think it tastes better. I have one on a Sunday afternoon as a treat. 6 pack of 8oz. bottles for $3.49 at my grocery store.

It's less than buying a 6 pack of beer though!

Matt

6. Michael St. Clair

What's the most affordable way I can get some bottled coke (8 oz, 1 liter, I don't care) in glass that is made with sugar like they used to make it in the USA when I was a kid?

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Why are they more expensive? Do you not have the option to return the glass bottle for money as we have in Europe?

Cees

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    I don't consider the 8oz. glass bottles to be "real". When I was growing up, all the soft drinks were in refundable (return for deposit) 12oz. bottles. I have a theory that Coke in bottles tasted better because the bottles were reused over and over. Even though they were washed, I think they helped maintain the taste better because they built up a residue of taste. Because the 8oz. is basically new glass each time, that residual coke taste is lost. So, the 12oz. size is the only size for me. Unfortunately, you can't get them around here. The last place I have seen them is middle Indiana circa 1995.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ha, Nathan. You answered my question (probably) without even being able to read it already [​IMG].

"Not anymore", I suppose the answer is.

Cees

10. Michael St. Clair

Cees,

Yep, when I was a lad I'd say that a good 90% of soft drinks sold were in returnable bottles (but I thought they were 16oz), with the remainder being cans from vending machines. The balance shifted over the years, I'd say by the late 80s that 60% were sold in non-refundable plastic bottles and cans, and sometime in the 90s returnable glass bottles disappeared alltogether.

Same thing with beer, though there may be a few breweries that still do returnable beer bottles.

11. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Yeah, Cees, I think stores have lost the desire to perform and keep track of this bit of recycling/cash payout and are only interested in volume sales and the bottom line. That means plastic and aluminum, which are recycled by local municipalities.

I was in college during 1995 and visiting friends in Indiana, when I saw the grocery store stocked with honest to goodness REAL Coca-Cola in bottles. I carried 20 cases of it back to Virginia with me, and it lasted a year.

(sigh)

12. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

In the Philippines, we still have them things..I think...or at least we got them 500 ml Coke glass bottles.

13. Rick Motz

Rick Motz Auditioning

I agree Coke is awsome in the bottle. Why I don't know, but I think all canned drinks have a after taste to them. I have only seen the small bottles though. i would like to find a place to purchase the ole fashion ones and a ole' fashion cooler for my theater![​IMG]

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I had a friend who insisted the smaller (8 oz.) bottled Coke tastes better (supposedly more intense) than the larger size bottles; something to do with more pressure within the smaller bottles.

I believe the pressure was more intense inside my friend's head. [​IMG]

Jon

15. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

...brings a tear to my eye just thinking about how great that coke must have tasted [​IMG]

16. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    All I can say is, MOUNTAIN DEW tasted completely different (i.e. ten times better) when it came from bottles. Plastic changes flavor, period.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Glass bottles are heavier than aluminum cans. Imagine trying to bring a case of Coke with you (to a party) in glass bottles. [​IMG] My back would KILL me if not for the cans. I'm also sure the delivery guys also appreciate lighter cases.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Cees,

The deposit/refund program for bottles and cans varies from state to state in the US. Here in Vermont, we have a 5 cent deposit charged on every soft drink/beer container sold. Those can then be returned for a refund of the pre-paid deposit. But I believe there are only a limited number of states that do this (next door neighbor New Hampshire has no such program).

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

20. Calvin Cullen

Calvin Cullen Stunt Coordinator