Cohen Film Press Release: The Thief Of Bagdad (1924) (Blu-ray)

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by bgart13
Never heard of Cohen before. Anyone got some insight on them?
That's what I'm wondering. Everything about this sounds great but the release company is a big "?"

Russell G said:
That's what I'm wondering. Everything about this sounds great but the release company is a big "?"
I'm not sure where they came from, but they acquired the Raymond Rohauer Collection a couple of years ago, and that's where this particular release comes from. I think their next release is an Intolerance Blu-Ray, also with a Carl Davis score.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Interesting. I'll wait for reviews. I was hoping Kino would get the DW Griffith stuff so we could have a Masterworks upgrade to Blu.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
NitrateVille had an announcement for the Cohen INTOLERANCE BD a few weeks back which said it would indeed have the Carl Davis score. They've already released a BD of Bunuel's TRISTANA. Interestingly, they will produce the BD for Pablo Berger's new silent feature BLANCANIEVES after its theatrical run. The picture has an interesting twist to the Snow White story where the young protagonist grows up to become a female bull fighter. Charles S. Cohen, the owner, presides over Cohen Brothers Realty and appears to be a patron of foreign and silent films. In a perfect world, he could make dreams come true and bring some of the Brownlow/Davis Photoplay restorations to blu-ray. Warner seems uninterested in moving in that direction and Cohen might have the power to make it happen. Let's hope so.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Cohen Media Group has a good rep, so I already have this one on pre-order. Restored and presented in a 1080p transfer, plus the full orchestral score by Carl Davis = a must buy for me. The only downside is the generic cover.

Frank Bidart

Premium
Let me second those who have celebrated the appearance of this great film with the Carl Davis score. Years ago the film with the Davis score was broadcast on PBS (in Boston, slightly truncated). Davis version uses themes from the Rimsky-Korsakov tone-poem "Scheherazade," and it is thrillingly appropriate. It allows the Fairbanks-Walsh film an exhilaration and ecstasy that the images themselves have but no other musical accompaniment lets them manifest or embody. The transcendent set design is of course by William Cameron Menzies. This is a major release. Frank Bidart

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
This is a new film and not quite like the restoration and presentation of a classic, but I own this Blu-Ray by the Cohen Media Group found it to be excellent. Here is a review from Blu-Ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Farewell-My-Queen-Blu-ray/58140/

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Looks good, might have to pre order this, agree that the coverart is a bit lacking but they seem to be incorporating a "Big" C into it as well as the other title that they have released, the Independents are what is making the past few years of classics that you thought you wouldn’t see, available, Flicker Alley, Kino, Criterion, Twilight Time, Blue UnderGround, Synapses, Shout/Scream, VCI, MPI, Raro, all have had some great releases, hopefully Cohen will only add to this growing trend great relases

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Frank Bidart said:
Davis version uses themes from the Rimsky-Korsakov tone-poem "Scheherazade," and it is thrillingly appropriate. It allows the Fairbanks-Walsh film an exhilaration and ecstasy that the images themselves have but no other musical accompaniment lets them manifest or embody.
If Fantasia had ever done a Scheherezade segment, it would look like this--You'd swear Rimsky-Korsakov had written his piece with the film in mind. Haven't seen the film all the way through (not even when it was on PBS with the score), but I might buy it just for the Davis score. One of the few silent movies for listening to, next to the Moroder Metropolis.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Does anyone out there know if this will be a multi-region Blu-ray? As a UK resident, I would love to order this, but will have to wait until I know what region it will be. Looks gorgeous, though! And the Carl Davis score will be the icing on the cake!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallmiracle