Coffee Percolator

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MichaelBA, Sep 6, 2006.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Anybody still use a coffee percolator?

Since I've gotten down on my Cuisinart Grind & Brew some months ago, I made the switch to a Bodum French Press and I've been extremely pleased with it.

But I'm always curious about coffee brewing methods. So, I dug out a 35 year old, really old-fashioned stove top coffee percolator this morning and just used some truly crappy Folgers coffee and -- DAMN if it didn't produce an excellent cup!

I was all set to buy an $80 stainless steel percolator from Williams-Sonoma, but this old leftover that hasn't been used since Carter was in office works great!

Any thoughts on percolators? Pros? Cons? Stove top versus electric?

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I only choose percolation for camping and when making coffee by the gallon, for the sake of convenience. I'm not a fan of cycling the beverage through the grounds. I started my coffee addiction using the old family drip pot, with the basket that twisted onto the bottom of the perforated water "reservoir" I have good memories of the coffee back then.

For a modern regular coffeemaker, I liked my Cuisinart Brew Central a lot. The best feature was the adjustable temperature for the hot plate. The low setting kept the coffee at a good drinking temperature without ruining it in a matter of minutes. Every thermal carafe I've tried has had a "thermos" smell to it that I can't warm up to (no pun intended)

If your into French press, though, I doubt you'd love a gravity brewer like the Brew Central. I've put mine on indefinite layoff, as I've switched to pressure brewed drinks from my superauto "coffee center". I keep a little Melitta cone on hand for a change of pace.

OK, I guess I wasn't much help, but I couldn't resist a coffee thread.

3. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

MichaelBA,

You lucked out because most "big brand" coffee is often designed to work with old perculators. Modern "gourmet" coffees often taste terrible when brewed through a perculator because they're more designed to work with drip brewing machines.