Coffee Maker Recommendations

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gregg Loewen, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys

In case you didnt already know I am addicted to caffiene.

Ive been considering a coffee maker for a while now and decided to start this thread to discuss pluses and minuses.

Im wanting a maker that ideally will have a water hookup on it and able to brew one cup at a time with auto grinding etc. I had a client with a maker that sold for $400 that sort of fit the bill as it did the auto grinding...but you had to add water.

So what are you coffee lovers using and why?

Thanks in advance

Gregg

2. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Bunn. Love it. Has a two pot resevoir, and can brew a whole pot in 2 minutes. Also, it uses a warming carafe, so i don't need a plate warmer that i may forget to turn off.

3. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

$400 and you had to add the water?! [​IMG] My only recommendation would be to stay away from Cuisinart. I broke/shattered 2 Cuisinart caraffe handles. Not something you want to have happen with a pot full of hot coffee...

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

No interest in a commerical type of maker like the Bunn.

I want a maker that will do 1 cup at a time (coffee on demand).

5. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Not talking about the Bunn types you find at Denny's. These are for home use, and cost around $100 at most stores. Don't think they make a 1 cup model however. Mine holds 2 pots worth of hot water. You just pour cold water in the top and it forces already hot water out immediately. You could just pour in 1 or 2 cups worth of water, and you will have coffee in less than 1 minute.

Good luck,

Scott

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I recommend the Bunn with the hot water resevoir. Great pot of coffee in 3 minutes. Put I also have a one-cup-at-a-time maker at work. I ordered it online but don't remember from where. But here it is from another source.

[​IMG]

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

You'll get the best tasting cup of coffee using a coffee press and grinder. The coffee making process is a little more involved than using a machine, but it's worth it.

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

we had the Porsche designed coffee maker by Bosche but it broke, piece o' sh*t. I actually took it apart after it was broken and found a block of metal placed in the casing to make it feel heavy and built well.

We have been using the auto-grinding Cuisinart for about 5 months and love it. The Carafe can make 2 - 10 cups.

I believe Bunn and KitchenAid Professional are the only 2 prosumer brands with water hookups...

9. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Here's what I have;

The Senseo
    http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/senseo/
    http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archive...fee_po ds.php
    http://www.coffee.philips.com/folder...ps-senseo.html
    http://www.senseo.com/en/senseous

[​IMG]

You can pick them up at Walmart for about $50, the coffee isn't outrageous, but isn't cheap either (about 25-30 cents a cup), but it's a pretty damn good cup of coffee. And it's so incredibly easy to use and clean it's well worth the extra cost (over a standard drip coffee maker, which makes more coffee than I want anyway).

Andrew

10. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I use the Saeco Cafe Charisma expresso machine. It has a water reservoir you have to fill but you could always use a Brita water filter or something. I use bottled water. It makes expresso and long shots. It allows adjustments to the grind and dosage (6-9g/shot). It also has a built in latte wand. If you like expresso and drink a lot of it you should get your moneys worth out of something like this. I usually have 4 long shots (cafe americano) in the morning (fills a big coffee mug). I am generally too lazy to use the wand to froth milk.

Cheers,

Kenneth