What's new

Coffee: Intermediate to Advanced (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I first found it in Whole Foods, but French truck has many more coffees than the 4 or 5 that WF carries. Wonderful coffee.
Oh interesting! I haven't been to my local WF in a long time, not since Amazon purchased them. Maybe I'll see if they have the chicory coffee variety. I very much enjoy that flavor...I don't drink brewed coffee often (mostly espresso) but that flavor I'll make an exception for.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh interesting! I haven't been to my local WF in a long time, not since Amazon purchased them. Maybe I'll see if they have the chicory coffee variety. I very much enjoy that flavor...I don't drink brewed coffee often (mostly espresso) but that flavor I'll make an exception for.
What does the chicory version taste like? My wife won’t let me buy it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What does the chicory version taste like? My wife won’t let me buy it.
Hard to describe. Smoky is often used, but not in a BBQ sort of way. It is more like a hint of smoke. And a hint of slight chocolatey-ness (but not in a cafe mocha sort of way). And with a little bit of cane sugar and milk (which is how it's served in NOLA) it really takes the edge off and smooths the flavor of the coffee you use with it, without diluting it. So it's still strong, but smooth.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hard to describe. Smoky is often used, but not in a BBQ sort of way. It is more like a hint of smoke. And a hint of slight chocolatey-ness (but not in a cafe mocha sort of way). And with a little bit of cane sugar and milk (which is how it's served in NOLA) it really takes the edge off and smooths the flavor of the coffee you use with it, without diluting it. So it's still strong, but smooth.
Would it be bitter black?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Honestly I’ve never tried it black and I generally don’t drink my coffee black so I would be the wrong person to ask. Sorry!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I believe so, because I think they pre-grind the mix together for you in their preferred ratio of coffee and chicory. But I've only ever enjoyed the drink at their shop (and yes it's every bit as refreshing as you'd think in the hot mugginess that can be NOLA), so this is just my best guess. Although pre-ground means it doesn't stay as fresh for as long, they recommend you make a big batch using something like a Toddy and that extract can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hope you enjoy it!

I think they do free shipping for orders over $60, so my five pound bag is covered. But obviously it makes little sense to buy that much before trying it.
I’ve been slow to post. We’ve had the Dead Man’s Reach and finished the bag. It is good to very good coffee. However, the French Truck is the best coffee we’ve ever had. It is smooth and not bitter with plenty of depth in it. I enjoy savoring it in my mouth like a good wine. Highly recommended.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If you like Dunkin Donuts, try the DARK ROAST - it's much richer and more flavorful than the regular DD.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is my favorite time of year for coffee, because both Starbucks and Peet's Holiday Blends pair very nicely with the very thick Eggnog I purchase instead of creamer during the holiday season!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's a good deal. I have this very one and it's the best coffee maker out there
First of all, it does make the best coffee, particularly when I feed it French Truck.

We bought the one with an insulated carafe. It’s a poor carafe, it doesn’t keep the coffee hot for long, and it pours poorly. I brew the coffee and immediately pour the coffee into a thermos which keeps it much hotter for a longer period of time.

Another negative is that it doesn’t have a drip stop in the filter.

However, it makes the best coffee.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
20191225_084702.jpg

Finally got one.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would consider myself between a beginner and intermediate. I started drinking one cup of coffee at work, drawing from the workplace carafe, but started to get curious about other tastes and brewing methods. Having found that I can brew a non-bitter cup of black coffee, I now consider if I get a bitter cup that something was not done correctly. That may be my own misunderstanding though.

I had a friend tell me in my pre-coffee drinking days about the Aeropress, so got one. After trying it several times, I've decided it's too much work, mainly in the cleanup with all the parts that need to get rinsed out.

My current brewing method is pour over, using a ceramic #2 paper filter holder from Bee House. I manually grind beans from my local supermarket labeled as "French Roast" and brew 12 ounces at a time.

I've also experimented with cold brewing in the most simple way possible. I have a 20 ounce mason jar, which I fill up to four ounces with coarse ground coffee, then fill the rest of the jar with cold water. After about 12 hours in the fridge, I filter out the grounds with a metal strainer or sometimes the same paper filter pour over device. Sometimes I drink the cold brew as-is, but it can be pretty strong, so I may dilute it if I don't want the tremors.

I know some of my methods are probably not as "pure" for some enthusiasts, but right now I'm satisfied with the combination of taste and methodology. But I'm open to suggestions if it doesn't mean a lot of extra work or expense.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For instant coffee I like Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso, and haven't really found anything else I like for instant options.

I've been curious about Cafe Bustelo for awhile, so decided to get some today. I wasn't sure if it was instant or not, but some Googling told me I could just do pour over with my cone dripper. I'm still deciding if I like it, though it's not awful.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Finally got a 15bar.

20200223_151105.jpg

And yes the Steam wand is garbage. Already modded it using someones tutorial from a coffee forum.

20200226_125047.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks