bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Been thrilled with my Ceado E37S grinder for a couple of months now. My pre-order for the new worm-gear adjustment mechanism came in. Because I preordered it at the same time as I purchased the grinder, the online vendor marked it down from $299 to $100. Here's the grinder now with the worm gear adjustment. It looks very industrial/professional now and the adjustments are now super easy to make.
IMG_1466.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have found a new (to me) coffee that I love. I was at Whole Foods and struck up a conversation with another whole bean shopper and he recommended French Truck. Whole Foods carries Festin, LaBelle Noir, La Grand Coq Rouge, and New Orleans Dark. All are fantastic and I’ve also made my own blend of of a lighter and darker coffee which is even better.

Their web site shows they have several other coffees. I’ll be ordering directly from them.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
If they are related to the French Truck Coffee in New Orleans, I very much enjoyed their coffee the last time I was in NOLA. I had the "New Orleans" (fittingly) which is an iced coffee drink with chicory root cut into the coffee grind, giving it a smoky flavor. From what I read, during Napeolon's blockade, coffee was hard to come by in NOLA, so they used to cut chicory grind in with the coffee grind to reduce costs and still produce a strong drink...and voila, New Orleans style coffee was born.

The iced version is sweetened with a little cane sugar and milk.

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If they are related to the French Truck Coffee in New Orleans, I very much enjoyed their coffee the last time I was in NOLA. I had the "New Orleans" (fittingly) which is an iced coffee drink with chicory root cut into the coffee grind, giving it a smoky flavor. From what I read, during Napeolon's blockade, coffee was hard to come by in NOLA, so they used to cut chicory grind in with the coffee grind to reduce costs and still produce a strong drink...and voila, New Orleans style coffee was born.

The iced version is sweetened with a little cane sugar and milk.
Yes, same company.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t know where this counts on the advance level chart, but I am currently digging the heck out of my single cup French press and a coffee called Dead Man’s Reach from Raven’s Brew, a coffee company out of Alaska.

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t know where this counts on the advance level chart, but I am currently digging the heck out of my single cup French press and a coffee called Dead Man’s Reach from Raven’s Brew, a coffee company out of Alaska.
Where do you buy it?

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wonder how fresh it will be from Amazon? Shipping will be free from Amazon.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't do brewed coffee so I don't know if the rules apply, but I can tell you that for espresso, most beans are optimal about 3 days from the roast date, and for a period of about 4-5 days after that initial date, and then they decline. But espresso is much more temperamental process than standard brew.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I end up buying the five pound bag from them directly, and what I do is that I keep most of it in the freezer, and will take out a smaller portion to fill a jar for about a week's worth, and then when that's finished, I go back to the freezer for more.

I'm sure that'll probably break some rule somewhere but it works just fine for me.

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I ordered Dead Man’s Reach from Amazon. It was $7 shipping directly from the company.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I ordered Dead Man’s Reach from Amazon. It was $7 shipping directly from the company.
I hope you enjoy it!

I think they do free shipping for orders over $60, so my five pound bag is covered. But obviously it makes little sense to buy that much before trying it.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hope you enjoy it!

I think they do free shipping for orders over $60, so my five pound bag is covered. But obviously it makes little sense to buy that much before trying it.
If you haven’t had the French Truck, I highly recommend it. As my wife said this morning, it’s the best coffee she’s (and me) ever tasted.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you haven’t had the French Truck, I highly recommend it. As my wife said this morning, it’s the best coffee she’s (and me) ever tasted.
I haven't but thanks for the recommendation! Is it something in stores or a mail order thing?

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I would think mail order only. French Truck is well respected locally and has a few locations in NOLA, but I don't think it's anywhere near well-known enough to be national...or even regional.

Here are their choices: https://frenchtruckcoffee.com/shop

It seems their La Nouvelle Orleans Chicory Coffee is the one with chicory infused in it, which gives New Orleans coffee it's signature smoky flavor.

Johnny Angell

Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I first found it in Whole Foods, but French truck has many more coffees than the 4 or 5 that WF carries. Wonderful coffee.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotorMikey